Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Keeping the Home Fires Burning



I think I mentioned earlier that we are in danger of running out of firewood well before we run out of cold weather, especially in view of the fact that we're still roughly a month away from the start of winter.  Steve mentioned to me the other day that he remembered that the other half of our contractor team who does heat his home with wood had said that he goes through three cords of wood a season, so we definitely under-bought our firewood.  Since buying a gross of Bear fire bricks last weekend, Steve also discovered that Coastal Farm Supply carries them as well, and had them on sale last summer at $199 for a ton, AKA a pallet of eighty-one cases.  So we'll keep a look out for that next summer.

In the meantime, though, I am eking out the cord wood by alternating it with a fire brick.  Steve just came out from his office and said, "is that another Bear brick?"

"Yes," I answered.

"Oh I see what's going on," he said, putting his hands on his hips like a nagging housewife. "You're trying to get a trip to Coastal Farm Supply out of this deal."

Well, that wasn't quite fair. I reminded him that I could just as easily want to go to Wilco, which is further away and has more stuff,  like straw and hay, which could be useful if we had goats, not that we're going to get goats. But we could. Little bitty ones.

"But I haven't determined that Wilco has the Bear bricks" he said.

"No, but the point is, if I wanted to go to a farm supply store, I'd say so.  I'm just trying to make the firewood last."

"Humph," he replied, and went back to his office.

1 comment:

opie said...

I think I saw Bear Bricks @ coastal for 199 a pallet last week. That is if you really need another reason to go to Coastal. :) Ive been having fun experimenting with them in my fire place.