Search This Blog

Monday, January 25, 2010

Come On Spring!!

I'm not sure if garlic is supposed to be up this early, but mine is.  I think it's because the weather has been unseasonably warm lately- it was almost 60 the other day.   At any rate, the garlic is up, and I'm keen enough to get something else sprouting so I started mung bean, radish, and alfalfa seeds in my kitchen sprouter today.  I'd be starting garden seeds in the garage except the allium seeds haven't shown up yet (all save the leeks- I can at least get them started) but the heat mat isn't here yet either.  The heat mat thermostat showed up today, though.

The other thing that showed up was my used copy of Common-sense Compost Making by the Quick Return Method, by Maye Bruce, which I found on Amazon.   Thanks to Fiona over at The Cottage Smallholder for putting me on to this method of compost making.  I need as much compost as I can possibly get as quickly as I can possibly get it.  You know, I hear a lot of bad things said about the big outfits like Amazon, but they do provide a place for the small guys to market their stuff, which is how I found my copy (and which came from a small guy in the UK, by the way).  It also makes for a one stop place for consumers to go looking for things, and I have found great deals on Amazon.  I used to buy software and various peripherals from them a lot back when I was purchasing for my ex-employer. 

Well anyway, this wasn't supposed to be a pitch for an e-tailer. I just wanted to say I'm itching to get started.  We're supposed to have clear weather for the next couple of days, so I'm going to attack the deck and start dismantling it tomorrow.  Then I can clear out the cardboard boxes I've been stashing in the kitchen and spread them all over the yard to start the sheet composting and general lawn killing.  Then I can get back at that corner in the kitchen and get my hutch started!  My husband has the patience of Job, because when I get projects started, I usually have multiple things going on at the same time and the house is usually a wreck.  I have framed photographs in black frames laid out on a large piece of paper on the living room floor waiting to be hung on the wall at the end of the hallway.  They are there because I started to unpack the picture and book boxes that were still in the guest room.  So the guest room is a little roomier, but the living room is a little messier.  Hopefully, I'll get at hanging them up after dinner. I can't be banging on the walls during business hours (5:50AM - 2:30PM PST) because it's right outside Steve's office, and then I think he would lose his patience.

I think he and I will both be happier when the weather warms up and I can spend most of my time outside.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Just found your blog - a good one. Dang you are busy! I'm up in Canada and we've got at least another couple months of winter. Sigh.

Toni aka irishlas said...

You, me, everybody I think is itchy for spring this year. I just ordered my onion sets - yipee!
I've still got to lay out the new garden and still waiting on two good weekends to assemble the greenhouse. I guess all in Mother Nature's good time!