Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dirt, Beer, and Good News

This morning I took delivery on seven and a half cubic yards of lovely, blended soil for the planter boxes.  I moved half of it.  It really felt good to be shoveling dirt, knowing that I was using leverage on the shovel and not my back.  Steve came out and helped me with the last boxful, and I was really grateful, because he can pick up a fuller wheelbarrow than I can, so we could make fewer trips.  At the last half of the second box, I finally started to get tired, and let Steve fill the wheelbarrow out on the driveway and bring it back to me. I emptied them into the boxes with the shovel.  Keep in mind that I'd been doing this since 10:30 this morning, only taking a break to make and eat lunch, and put a second coat of paint on lumber in the garage.  We quit at six o'clock, just in time to feed Rufus.

Needless to say, since we'd had a late, large lunch, and I was looking for liniment, we drank dinner tonight.  Steve had a cheap Dutch import, and I had a Bitburger, my second favorite pilsner after Warsteiner.  Then I broke down and served us some Carambozola cheese and almonds, which went really well with the beer. Hey- I didn't have to cook again. Normally, I love to cook, but when I'm beat, I'm beat.

I called my brother Kit tonight to wish him a Happy Birthday, and he had the happy news of having landed a job the week before and starting only yesterday. Yay Kit!! Happy Birthday!! Only eighty-eight more days and the full bennies kick in!

So between feeling good about having three out of five planter boxes full, Kit's new job, and my Bitburger dinner, I am feeling pretty content this evening.

We'll just see how my back feels in the morning.  I still have the rest of the soil to move.

4 comments:

Miriam said...

Well done! I hope a long, hot bath and a good night's sleep make the remaining pile seem a bit smaller in the morning.

Toni aka irishlas said...

That's a lot of soil! We just had 3 yards of soil/compost mix delivered to start filling our new raised beds. Hopefully I'll be able to get a post about it soon.
I know what you mean about being to beat to cook... that sounds like my kind of dinner after a day outdoors, but, just substitute with Guinness for me.
Everything is looking great, Paula. Thanks for bringing us along for the ride!

Sarah said...

Sounds like a busy day. I like that beer for dinner trick!

Cottage Garden said...

Oh my goodness Paula - have a long hot bath this evening - your poor back!

We got delivery of our soil etc yesterday and in my half hour or so breaks from work, I've brought a few wheelbarrows around and quite frankly I feel knackered! These beds will have to wait for the weekend when hubby can do most of the work!

Jeanne