Search This Blog

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Home Remedies

Where possible, I always try to use a home remedy before I'll use a pharmaceutical one, and some home remedies are better than others.  I'm reminded of the story of Cinderella, whose steply ug-sisters' feet would not fit into the glass slipper.   One cut off her toes and the other cut off her heel.  These are examples of home remedies whose efficacy is in question.  Of the home remedies that I've found that do work better than pharmaceuticals, the best so far is the use of a corn meal soak for toenail fungus.

The first time that I asked the doctor about my affliction, she wanted to prescribe a popular medicine for it whose side effects were possible damage to the liver, such that I would have to go get a blood test so they'd have a baseline to which they could compare more blood tests while I was taking the stuff.  The burden of living with my fungus seemed nothing compared to having blood drawn multiple times, not to mention the possibility that it could damage my liver, which was being kept plenty busy filtering adult beverages, thank you very much, so I opted to live with the fungus.

Then the next year, after things just got a little more gruesome, I asked the doctor again.  This time she had a remedy called 'Penlac', which was a German product that you painted on like nail polish, no blood tests required.  This seemed a reasonable solution, so I applied the stuff as directed and my fungus eventually went away.  Then it eventually came back.

Fast forward to a few years later.  I read an article about a guy in Texas listening to a popular garden show on the radio.  This fellow had had a toenail fungus for twenty-seven years.  The gardener host was answering a woman's question about what to do about the fungus on her roses, which was to mix up a solution of cornmeal and warm water and spray it on her roses.  So the light bulb went off in the Texan's head, and for a year every Saturday, he soaked his feet in a solution of cornmeal and warm water, and after mooching off his host for twenty-seven years, the fungus finally packed up and left.

This was encouraging, to say the least! So I tried it, although I didn't manage to do it every week for a year.  It was more like once a month when I remembered it, for as long as it took for a new healthy toenail to grow out. More like six months.  And this time, the remedy stuck; I haven't had a relapse in over eight years.

All you need to do is clip off as much of the damaged toenail as you can.  Then fill a little tub with at least warm water (I used hot- it feels good and stays warm longer) and some cornmeal.  You might want to run the cornmeal through your coffee grinder if it's coarse because the grit feels kind of weird on your feet.  Then grab a book and soak for an hour.  You have to use at least warm water because evidently the so-called experts think that the warm water activates enzymes in the corn that eat the fungus.  I don't know if this is true or not, but I do know that this remedy works, and it works really well for next to nothing.

So well, in fact, that I could wear glass slippers if I wanted to.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Thank-you Paula...I shall try it!!

Happy Easter!

Toni aka irishlas said...

Great post, Paula - informative and witty!
I tell ya', sometimes the home remedies can't be beat.