Search This Blog

Monday, May 31, 2010

Dinner And An Island

The kitchen island is finished and up (although it needs its missing bolt and nut), and Steve worked a loaf of bread on it yesterday.  I am thrilled to have it assembled, sealed, and installed.  I sealed it with some Boos Board Cream, which is made from food grade mineral oil and beeswax, both of which I have, but no safe way to melt the wax.  So I bought the board cream, which I used just on the top.  The rest was sealed with a little mineral oil.

Anyway, maybe you can see my pasta machine in the one corner.  This pasta machine was a wedding present from my sister Ali, and I've been wanting to install it somewhere permanently so that I can get into the habit of making our pasta.  So yay! It's where I need it to be.

This is just a shot of today's mid-afternoon meal.  Rouladen, which is a German dish, and a real mashed potato (I find that one large potato makes just enough for the two of us), and mixed root vegetables, and greens.  With the exception of the potato and carrot, the veg came out of the garden.  The two turnips, and their greens, and two baby beets, which were delicious.  We each got one little beet.  The greens are a combination of leftover radish greens I cut yesterday, and the turnip and beet greens from today's veg, cooked with Margen (mar-ghen) speck, garlic, and red pepper flakes.  The Rouladen is from large, flat cuts that we get at Edelweiss Deli in Portland (SE12th and Powell), as is the Margen speck.  The Rouladen is spread with mustard, then you put on a couple of slices of regular bacon, some thinly sliced onions, and roll the whole thing around a dill pickle spear. Tie it up, brown in a little butter or oil with a little salt and pepper, then pour in enough water to halfway up the Rouladen, and cook at 350F for an hour and a half.  Pull out the Rouladen and keep them warm, and make a gravy with the juice in the pan.  This Rouladen was actually made last week, and it was time to eat up the leftovers, but Rouladen is better the next day anyway.   The hard part about Rouladen, is finding the proper cut.  Fortunately, Edelweiss has them.

That was at three today.  Now I think it's time for a blackberry sorbet cone....

5 comments:

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Paula, are you of German descent? My mom is German...I grew up with Rouladen. Hated it as a child :-) :-), but enjoy it now. At the time, I much preferred the Wiener Schnitzel mit Pommes Frites! lol
You know, you *must* be at least part German if you're cooking with Speck!!
Ah, Edelweiss - wonderful place. Whenever I've been an exceptionally good girl, I'll treat myself to a stop-in at Edelweiss. :-)
Your meal looks yummy!

Paula said...

I am of German descent, but my mom didn't cook like this. My husband is half German, and grew up in Germany. His dad was stationed at Kaiserslautern, and Steve's German mother cooked American food growing up, for the most part. It's Steve's grandmother's cooking that I'm trying to do for him.

I'm really sorry that I didn't grow up with German food, because it ROCKS! Sooooo good.

Paula said...

Oh yeah- Weiner schnitzel und Pomme frites are Steve's favorite from when he was a kid. He gets rewarded with Schnitzel when he's been a good boy and it goes without saying that's what he wants for his birthday dinner!

Farmgirl_dk: said...

How interesting! My dad was stationed in Oberursel in the late 50's/early 60's and my uncle was an army chaplain stationed, later in his life, in Kaiserslautern in the 80's. I visited him there once, but my family (on my mom's side) is predominantly located in the Berlin/Frankfurt/Munich areas now. My mom is originally from eastern Germany, right on the Polish border.
Wiener Schnitzel is the #1 most requested birthday meal in our family among all the grandchildren! :-)

Jennifer Montero said...

I was going to ask the same question as farmgirl...I love reading other people's blogs just for the culinary heritage everyone brings to their cooking. Gives me some inspiration, especially living in England where - no offense intended - they haven't got the reputation for world cuisine that some other countries have.

I struggle to face another stew or suet crust pie some days, and dream of burritos, pulled pork sandwiches, and lobster rolls...