Search This Blog

Friday, May 14, 2010

Goodbye To Another Old Friend

I don't know about you, and it probably doesn't speak well of my fashion sense, but when not in my pajamas or birthday suit, I'm in my overalls.  I have my good overalls, which I wear like most people wear jeans, which is pretty much everywhere, and I have my grubbies, which are the overalls in which I paint, garden, work wood, and otherwise make mischief.  They are like friends to me because we are comfortable together and I can be myself with them.

Well, today I had to say goodbye to an old friend.  My grubbies bought the farm today, so to speak.  They've been getting threadbare for a long time, and had several rents in them already, but all were in strategic places where I wasn't in danger of letting the cat out of the bag exposing myself.  The first tears were in the bib near the waist which was no big deal.  Then I put my fingers through the back, but way up where my T-shirt would cover for me.  The thin spots over the fronts of my thighs were finally starting to shred, but no problem because nothing important was exposed.

But today, shoving my work gloves into my back pocket, the thin fabric back there just couldn't hold it together any longer and I ripped the dickens out of my work pants. My work pants.  Now my Granny Whites will be exposed, so the old dears had to be taken out behind the woodshed and shot.

Actually, they got an unceremonious dump in the garbage can.  I toyed with the idea of cutting them up and composting them, but they have too much latex paint all over them.  Oh well. You know how I hate to waste things.

Still, at least I got a story out of them....

8 comments:

Mary Lee said...

And a good story at that!

Miriam said...

I think you should haul them back out of the garbage and save the buckles to use in one of your clever projects, or maybe create an artwork by framing the front pocket of the bib. Such a steadfast old friendship deserves to be commemorated!

Overalls are the perfect work attire. Not too hot. You can bend over without inflicting plumber's butt on the world. Pockets. I think I have to go get me some...

Toni aka irishlas said...

Your story reminds me of a song that Mary Chapin Carpenter wrote and recorded called " This Shirt".
I can so relate to old favorites..

sissyjane said...

I've had a pair in the closet for four years, and I've never worn them. Are they really that comfy? It gets really hot here when working in the garden...

Paula said...

Miriam- I did give them the once over with serious thought to what could be done with them, but couldn't come up with a good use for the buckles, and I'm not the craft for craft's sake type. But I agree they are the perfect work attire, and for me in general the perfect attire. I once had a chiropractor (she was standing in for my regular who was on maternity leave) give me a bad time for wearing them all the time, I mean, does my husband like them all the time? When I mentioned that it's my husband who buys them for me, she shut up...

sissyjane- yes, they are that comfortable. They are terrific for hitting the casual eateries, because, boy! is there a lot of eating room in them! No waist! As for heat...at my last job, which was at an animation studio with a 'creative casual' dress code, which meant that we could pretty much wear whatever we wanted, I wore my good overalls every single day. In the summer, I wore my cutoff overalls. Yes, they're a little warmer than regular shorts, but I am more comfortable in them anyway. I guess I'm just better with a uniform....

Danny said...

What a great skill it is to fashion something out of threadbare overalls.

GREAT STORY!

Thanks, Paula. Also love your refreshed profile. At least we have "drink too much" in common :-)

Tamar@StarvingofftheLand said...

What's the matter with you, throwing away your old overalls? There must be a quilting sub-specialty that uses all the paint-splattered, irredeemably stained, threadbare rags -- so we can have bed clothes that look just like our real clothes.

bibprofessor said...

Hi Paula, you really sounds like me and many of my overalls friends, it may sound a bit crazy, but we are a bunch of people all over, who have found each other in the joy and love of wearing overalls believing overalls to be the most perfect clothing item ever invented ! and we have invented a special day for celebrating overalls, November 20 as the International overalls Day, even if every day is overalls dat for most of us ! I'm a professor my self wearing overalls on campus, making university a workshop !:) overall greetings from Niels/aka bibprofessor