Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Hard Way

It hailed again today, and this time I don't even want to go out and see what got destroyed because I have all the cucurbits sprouted this time, in addition to having my tender cukes and peppers out.  I've already lost one of the cucumbers and two of the peppers that just succumbed....so this time I feel a lot more defeated than I did the last time.

I guess the only thing to do is start over, and remember next winter to cool my jets and wait until later  in the spring to start my seeds.

Next year I'll do better. I'm still learning. Evidently the hard way.

3 comments:

Miriam said...

Oh, that's discouraging. I completely understand the excitement and impatience that prompts us to push things a bit, and most of the time it's okay - just not this time. I found that when I had to replant a bunch of things thanks to the nibbling mice, the second batch grew a whole lot faster than the first batch, just because it was warmer. So I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised by how quickly lost ground gets made up.

Farmgirl_dk: said...

I could not believe how hard it hailed here today. We got probably a 1/4 inch accumulation, too - and it stuck around for hours afterwards. Brrrrrr....
I'm with you, though. I've asked my husband to remind me next year not to plant so early. Though the only thing I've got in the ground currently are peas and garlic and chives, my tomatoes and celery and basil are all in my little mini greenhouse on the deck waiting to go in the ground. My tomatoes are the size of small trees...definitely shouldn't have seeded those in February. sigh. I really thought it was going to be an "early" spring!

Toni aka irishlas said...

You'll be able to replant, but, that doesn't help with the feelings of discouragement you have. I'm slowly learning to work with the weather. Like you, I get impatient and want to get out in the dirt.

Last year, we had such a cool, wet season that I didn't get my potato's in the ground until the end of May. Over a month late according to our planting schedule. What I got was a pleasant surprise - the potato's grew faster, the potato beetles were not a problem because of the late planting, and, my yield was just as good. There were some seeds I had to replant three times last season. I got a bit frustrated, but in the end, it all came out well.

Hang in there! We feel your pain!