Search This Blog

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Planting Strawberries

What with being worried and preoccupied with Rufus last week, I didn't get to post about my strawberries when I finished them.  My original plan for them was to put them in hanging baskets, but I realized that if I waited for when I had time and money to put together strawberry baskets, we would not have strawberries this year.  So casting about for where to put them, I decided to utilize a mess of screen block the last owner left in the garage and to put them on the deck close to the back door.

I started with six....
Then to keep the soil from falling through the bottom, I used leftover deck spacers to block off part of the space in between the decking like so....
....and here is the finished product...
It's not terribly pretty, or anything, but it'll work, and there's lots of room for the strawberries to send runners for new plants.  I planted a mint that I had in the center top, and then the five strawberry plants went into the centers of all the other blocks.  You might be able to see that I wrapped a length of my copper mesh around the bottom of the whole thing to keep the slugs from getting to everything at the top.

I liked this well enough that I bought more concrete block (building blocks, not screen block) to plant herbs in on the other side of the deck.  Now I'll be able to collect herbs for cooking without having to don my muck boots!

5 comments:

Miriam said...

Aren't you clever! I think it's not only functional, it will look quite beautiful when the strawberries grow and spill all over. My herbs are mostly a hike away from the house, so I understand the appeal of having them close to hand.

Love the new profile!

Toni aka irishlas said...

I think this is a great idea! Re-using what you have on hand is a true form of recycling!

I think they look fine as they are, but, you could always paint some color on the outside of the blocks.

Herbs near the house is much better than in the garden. I learned this one the hard way! I now plant all my herbs in pots and keep them on the deck outside the back door.

sissyjane said...

Won't all of the water all of the time ruin the deck? Just curious?!

Paula said...

Not at all Sissyjane! The previous owner had it built out of a product called 'Eon', which is 100% plastic!

sissyjane said...

Then it's perfect! Thanks for letting me know.