Search This Blog

Monday, May 31, 2010

Raccoon Beware

Yesterday I chased a raccoon out of the yard, and I would have got him, too, if I hadn't been running in garden clogs.  As it was, I only managed to smack his last foot against the fence, but I hope it was enough to make him think twice about entering the yard.   I had only the dowel we keep in the sliding glass door channel, so I realized that I need something along the lines of a proper cudgel, like a baseball bat.  That's if Steve won't buy me a gun, which he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to do.  I hates raccoons. Really, really, hates raccoons.

4 comments:

Jennifer Montero said...

Paula - I've chased an animal with a fence post, swinging wildly and managing only an unsatifying 'whiff' noise missing it by a good couple of feet. I've yet to meet one that's faster than a speeding bullet though...

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Aw, Paula...they have such cute little bandit faces!!!

(just egging you on)
I hate them, too. What used to be mischieviously cute is now diabolically dangerous to my chickens. My flashlight found raccoon eyes shining up at me from outside the chicken coop at 2:00am last week - this had me racing down in my jammies and boots yelling my head off.
Husband and son were down in the pasture with a shotgun two nights ago because we had about 4 of them fighting in the trees overhead. This is baaaad news. We actually have a lady who "rehabilitates" sick and injured raccoons over the hill from us. She then releases them back into "the wild" (a.k.a. our neighborhood), so it's understandable why we have a sudden overpopulation. Grrrrrr....

Miriam said...

Raccoons are nasty, nasty, nasty. I keep worrying our two resident cats are going to get into a tangle with one of the many, many raccoons around here.

Did you read the recent post on Living the Frugal Life where they shot a rabbit with a BB gun in the morning and ate it in a stew for supper that night? I wonder how raccoon would taste...

Paula said...

Raccoons are cute, but they have such nasty habits that it doesn't save them.

Danni- I believe it's illegal to move them in the state of Oregon, or any other wild animal, for that matter. Something to do with rabies, I think.

I did not read that post, Miriam, but I suspect that raccoon would be gamey, and I don't like gamey.