Search This Blog

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Perspective

I've been out of commission, since the latter part of the week, having messed up my back laying cardboard and path bark by myself.  I'm not sure which move did the damage actually, but I haven't screwed up like this the whole gardening season until now.  I'm finally able to move without groaning, so I know I'm on the mend.  Will I take myself outside to work in the garden today?  The answer is no.  Today I'm getting ready for a job interview tomorrow at two in the afternoon.

This is the first interview I've been called in on since starting to look for work in November, and I sure hope it sticks.  It would be a good gig for me, doing what it is I do (IT purchasing) and the salary is right where I need it to be.  Plus, I'd have to commute through Portland, which I actually like to do.  The building is one block away from a light rail station, so the commute, although longish, would be a piece of cake.

In the meantime, here's a series of pictures showing the progression of our garden:

What the back of the house looked like when we bought it in August, 2008.

Last summer's garden, early in the season.  I was busy with the interior of the house, which by the way, still isn't finished yet. But that one planter box was all that I had time for.


What a difference a year makes, huh?  Actually, we wouldn't be this far along if I wasn't unemployed.  I employed myself, I guess.  Still, there's a lot of work left to be done, but all in good time, my pretty; all in good time.

7 comments:

Miriam said...

Wow, what a difference! The pergola must be a wonderful place to sit with a cool drink on a hot day. And the lawn is transformed - much better!

Toni aka irishlas said...

First - good luck with your interview!
Second - take care of your back! Ouch! I've been there, for sure!
Third - looks like a great homestead. I love the pergola. I didn't realize it was that big!

You should be proud of what you've accomplished - especially in such a short period of time!

Tamar@StarvingofftheLand said...

Love the before and after! I'm always a little depressed by my version because my 'after' always looks too much like my 'before,' but yours is a quantum leap!

I'll have to wait for 'way after.'

Good luck on the job interview.

Paula said...

Thanks guys. Yeah- here's hoping!

Jennifer Montero said...

Paula - Everone's dropping like flies from injuries on the blogs I'm reading. I think summer is a dangerous time when we all try and get everything done all at once before the weather turns. The back yard looks great, even if you can't get up to see it!!

I hope your back is healing and wanted to send you lots of luck for the job interview.

Paula said...

Thanks Jen.

Diana (Di) said...

Paula, best of luck. How could anyone resist that wonderful smile.