Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

There's No Place Like A Sense Of Home

House after the first snow storm of December 2008
Tonight one of my favorite bloggers, Jenna Woginrich of Cold Antler Farm, posed the question: how long does it take for a house to feel like a home?  I think that's a really good question, because the last couple of days have been spent working on this house, which does and does not feel like home to me. Yet.

I didn't feel like I was home in the first house I bought until the day I stood back from hanging up all my tools above my new work bench to look at them.  The sense of that place being home flooded over me quite unexpectedly and in a rush.  I still had lots of remodeling to do and projects to complete, but for some reason, having all my tools put away in their very own places made me feel very much at home.

This place is different, and I can't think why.  On the one hand, this isn't my house; this is our house, and just Steve being in it makes it home, of course.  But the tools have had their own places almost from the beginning, and that's not doing it for me this time.  Part of me hasn't relaxed yet, and maybe it's because there's still so much to do around here.  I think that must be it, this time.  Maybe when I get everything done, and can relax, it'll feel like home.

Or maybe I'll get just one random thing done and the sense of home will hit me like a house falling out of the sky.

1 comment:

Miriam said...

Oh, I know exactly what you're talking about. I have moved so often, and it seems to be a different event each time that suddenly makes me feel like the house I'm living in has become my home. And as attached as I am to Mucky Boots, I'm not sure I feel it here yet. Maybe it's as you suspect, there are so many projects to complete first...