I just managed to get the daybed cover and the backrest cushion done and here they are:
|the cushion in front is a cover from Target, of all places....|
Steve wanted me to get brand new army blankets for the cover anyway, which I did- I ordered brand new Italian ones because they were available. Bad mistake. They'd been treated with what smelled like paradichlorobenzene, which is the active ingredient in mothballs, and boy! Did they stink! I left them hung in the garage for a few months to air out- they still smelled bad. I laundered them in my own machinery- another mistake. Now both my machines and the laundry room smelled like nasty chemicals. Finally, one Saturday, Steve took all the blankets down to the laundromat and took care of everything, and I was finally able to get started on the covers. The Italian blankets had a beige stripe running down either side, which I didn't want in the cover, so I wound up piecing the cover together.
The filling for the backrest cushion is a king-sized and a full-sized down comforter. This house just doesn't get cold enough to warrant needing them, and I needed to store them somewhere- space in my linen closet is at a premium, so stuffing them into the cover and using them as filler seemed like a good idea. That way, if ever I need them, I still have them. And they were just bulky enough to make a fairly firm cushion.
Steve tried it out, including turning on the lamp, and pretending to read a book. He deemed it a great reading corner.
I'm just glad that it's done.