Search This Blog

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Fueling The Lie

Unlike some products, I'm going to be upfront about my purpose: I'm on a rant here, people.

This came as a free sample with this morning's newspaper.  I didn't look at the front so much (more on that in a little bit) but went directly to the list of ingredients.  The third ingredient on the list after Whole Grain Wheat and Crisp Rice was Sugar.  Well no wonder it acts like fuel!  Also on the list of ingredients are Honey, Brown Sugar Syrup, Barley Malt Extract, and Corn Syrup Solids, all of which are various forms of sugar.   The front of the box indicates, however, that the contents are 'lightly sweetened'.    Then way down at the bottom of the list, fourth from the end, in fact, was Trisodium Phosphate.  I used to sell Trisodium Phosphate in the paint department at my first job.  You use it to prep your walls for a new coat of paint because it takes the shine of old paint.   I looked around and while they say that TSP is generally safe added to food, I don't particularly trust the FDA or USDA these days (haven't for awhile, actually) and I think that anything that will take the top coat off your paint is probably not a good substance to ingest.  I could be wrong here, but that's just how I feel.

For the second part of this rant, take a good look at the picture on the front of the box.  Do you see one female athlete in the picture?  Me neither.  Does General Mills genuinely think that women can't be champions?  What about the US Women's Soccer team?  What about every other female athlete in the world who can seriously kick ass?   Would you really want this box of cereal sitting on your table where your sons and daughters could both see it?  What the hell kind of message is that?

Shame on you, General Mills.  This box is going straight into the trash.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I whole heartedly agree..with first the crappy ingredients and they put tsp in the cereal why?? I think I remember a window washer telling me that's what he uses to wash windows. And of course the biased message on the package.
I think you should send this same post,(or another similar letter) to the ceo of General Mills. When something like this really pisses us off here, we find that directly contacting the head of the company produces immediate results or at least, gets their attention.
Right on girl!!

Toni aka irishlas said...

Really? TSP?

Crap in, crap out. Food like this just solidifies why I make the eating choices I do. What still amazes me is that people just shovel this stuff down their gullot without a second thought.

Ugh...