Search This Blog

Saturday, September 25, 2010

I'm Done

Thursday, I put a brave face on my employment predicament.  Friday, I worked twelve hours, made four trips to Home Depot, and two trips to Fred Meyers (the local Oregonian equivalent of a Walmart- in essence, if not in reality) in my automobile.  This was after two conversations with my boss in which I made it clear that I wanted to be home for my family time, and that I'd only insured the car for commute miles and that I wouldn't be able to use it for errands. Okay, I said that close to the office and for stuff that wouldn't mess up the car might be okay, but six trips?  Last night I was so angry and upset when I got home I was practically blithering, and Steve said, "Do you want a hug?" with his arms open wide.

"I want out," I replied, and burst into tears.

I'm sorry guys- I quit this morning.  I just couldn't do it anymore.  One lousy week.  One truly awful week.  I feel like I've let you all down.

I do know how to make a rain garden now, and I understand how to make a rain barrel.

And I'll be a lot more careful about my next job interview.

I should mention that I have not received pay for this week's work, and don't expect to- I consider this a probation or interview that didn't work, and volunteered my time for it.  I looked for work yesterday and today, and applied for a job today, so I'm hoping that this shouldn't ruin my unemployment benefits.  I somehow can't think that I'd be faulted, because I think that the boss abuses people.  Poor Virgil hasn't had a day off in two weeks and has pulled a few days into the ones and twos in the morning- he has a two year old and a three-month-old infant at home, whom he's missing growing up.  The worst of it is, I feel for his wife as well- with him gone all the time, that means she's stuck with everything.  You know what my boss said this morning when I pointed this out?

"We all have to make sacrifices."

Since when should a two year old and an infant have to make sacrifices?  I mean, I understand him wanting to get the word out that we all need to be conserving water, but honestly? I think he's got a screw loose...

Anyway, I'm done.

9 comments:

Jennifer Montero said...

I know there's two sides to every story, but it does seem that your boss was looking for a servant rather than an employee (I know a bit about the difference, having been both.)

Something suitable will come along and you can put your numerous skills to better use there. Good for you for setting boudaries and sticking to them.

Maria said...

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but well done for being brave enough to try it out. Also, you have learned some stuff, which is always good!
I agree with you re children not getting to see their parents, but unfortunately I know too many people who would agree with the 'we all have to make sacrifices' line. If I'm feeling rational I call it 'everyone has different priorities', but generally it makes me mad.

Miriam said...

I think you made the right call, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that something a whole lot better comes your way soon! And please don't talk about letting anyone down - the only one you have to square it all with is yourself, not us!

Amy Lagerquist said...

Good for you! I could tell in your last post that your job wasn't all it was cut out to be. The right thing will come along...but your sanity is more important, and when every fiber of your being screams "no", good for you for listening!

Joleen said...

You gave it a good try and it wasn't the right fit for you. I think, by law, they have to pay you for your time though. Don't feel bad. You didn't give up. I think you did the right thing.

Cottage Smallholder said...

Well done Paula! That is the best move that you could have made.

I feel sure that a good job will come along soon that uses your skills and enthusiasm.

You should be paid for the work that you have done. That boss deserves to be horse whipped around Fred Mayers.

Rob (ourfrenchgarden) said...

There's a work/life balance, your employer should have understood that.Now they have to go through the whole recruitment process again, false economy and silly.

You should demand payment for the work you've done.

Paula said...

Thank you all for the support!

Eric Thomason said...

I agree with everything everyone else said. Good for you! You should get paid. Forget that boss guy, he needs to get a clue.