Search This Blog

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Tomato Love

I love tomatoes.  I love tomato sandwiches made only from homegrown tomatoes, mayonnaise, and a couple of slices of bread.  I especially love the way the tomato plants smell, and I love the way the smell stays on my hands when I've been harvesting them.  Call me weird.  Steve likes the smell of the plants too, so I know I'm not alone here.

I discovered by accident an easy way to get the tomatoes off the vine without tearing up the fruit.   Leaving the stem intact ensures that you haven't torn the skin, which would hasten rotting.  At about a half to three quarters of an inch away from the fruit up the stem is a little knobby elbow.  Do you see it in this picture?  Look at the tomato on the right, which is a clearer picture.

If you press your thumbnail against that knobby little elbow and snap it in the opposite direction of its bend, it will snap right off there.  Think of the direction that you wouldn't want your elbow snapped and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

2 comments:

Miriam said...

Another great tip! Now if only you'd posted it a couple of days ago, before I picked (and tore) a whole bunch of my tomatoes...

Toni aka irishlas said...

If I'd had any tomato's, I'd give it a try. I'll have to remember that for next year!