Search This Blog

Monday, September 13, 2010

Woo Hooooooo!

I got hired today!

The pay is crap, but the job will feed my soul, and that is what is important to me.  I told my new boss that I'd have to talk to Steve about it first to see if I could do it (because the pay is so dismally low), and generally, he said yes!  I am convinced after talking with Jason for nearly two hours that he is an honest and good guy, so I'm throwing in my luck with him.

So what am I doing?  I'm not really sure yet- probably jack of all trades office manager, but what the company does is install rain catchment systems, which is something in which I truly believe.  I've been wanting one for myself for awhile, because water is going to be a huge issue for everybody in the very near future, especially in the west.  Water is the biggest reason why we decided on Oregon, and rain catchment has been in the plans from the get go.  The roof on this house is in pretty good shape but the gutters are a disaster.  However, you can only use water off an asphalt shingle roof for landscaping plants; you can't use it for vegetables and fruits because the asphalt taints the water.  Plus at some point, I want to be able to pipe into the house for toilets, showers and clothes washing, and possibly to sinks or at least to a filtration system, and then maybe all the sinks.  We'll see- I'd need a tank roughly the size of a tractor trailer.  Maybe.  But the first step to doing all this is to replace the roof with a standing seam metal roof, and I'm currently saving for that.  And since there's wear left on this roof, I have a little time.  We want to get more insulation up there at the same time and install a light tube and operable skylight at the same time, so save, save, save is the name of the game.

They also do rain gardens and bio-swales and that sort of thing and I'm going to get my hands dirty this Friday helping to install a rain garden at the Nike Community Garden which is across the street from Nike World Headquarters.  This Friday we'll be prepping for the excavator, and then working through the weekend to get in the garden.

So!  This means I have to hustle the rest of the week to get some stuff done before I get extremely busy.  But I get to help grow a business doing something that I really believe in.  I'm pretty happy about that!

9 comments:

Miriam said...

Congratulations - that's wonderful news! Way better than medical billing, at least in the "feed the soul" department. I'm so pleased for you!

Maria said...

Congratulations! that's really great. So glad you have found a job that you like, and if you can make the $$ situation work, like you say, it's all about having a job which feeds the soul.
from a medium-to-long-time lurker on your site :o)

Toni aka irishlas said...

That is downright awesome! Congratulations!

Tamar@StarvingofftheLand said...

Woo hoo indeed! I'm doing the got-the-job dance for you out here on Cape Cod. Not only will you be doing something really useful, you'll undoubtedly learn a lot in the process -- and it's all related to what you care about.

I'm very, very pleased for you.

Jennifer Montero said...

Paula - I'm thrilled for you! I'm joining Tamar in doing the got-a-job dance for you(maybe it will be a rain dance, who knows). I hope you will teach us more about rain catchment on the blog, too. Congratulations.

Paula said...

Miriam- it sure is. I really grateful that Steve understands how important that is for me.

Maria- thanks! I'm glad I finally did something that made you pipe up!

Thanks Toni!

Tamar and Jennifer- thanks for the got-the-job dance. I already know some things about rain catchment, mostly how important it is, but this should help clarify some of the fuzzy mechanical bits. I will definitely pass on what I learn!

Cottage Smallholder said...

Congratulations Paula!

Ok the pay is low but what a terrific job to have in an industry that will be vital in the future. So pleased for you!

Julia Posey said...

Congratulations Paula!

Paula said...

Thanks Julia!