Search This Blog

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Big Visit

My mom and older sister showed up last Thursday. Far from being the criticism-fest I expected, it was a really nice visit.  We went to Champoeg State Heritage Area on one day and drove through the Hood River Valley on another impossibly beautiful autumn day.  Did I bring my camera? No!

We also made a trip to Powell's City of Books, that Mecca in the city that we know and love.  I bought a truly great book that I'll review later after I've finished reading it.

It was such a nice visit that it felt truly too soon when they left.  I have to admit to a kind of melancholia, but I think that is largely due to the fact that every time I see my mother, she's a little shorter and a little more frail.  She's also battling breast cancer, but I think she's going to beat it, really.  They got it early.

She and I have had our ups and downs, and I know that I'm not her favorite child, but I still love her, and I know she loves me, and I'm just not ready to lose my mommy.

Not yet.

6 comments:

Toni aka irishlas said...

Glad you had a good visit with the family.

You know how it goes - one day you just look at your Mom and realize that she's gotten older. Older than you already thought she was.

Time goes by too fast. Enjoy her while you can.
Have a great weekend!

Miriam said...

Family is so important, and so complicated. The best advice I ever heard about families was from my friend Marco who a family with lots of interesting dynamics. He adopts an attitude of loving calm about it all, and aims for accepting them for who they are, not trying to change them, and loving them anyway. Harder to do on some days than others, but something to strive for.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy her as much as you can! Sometimes time is just way to short.

AGendive

Grandpa said...

Hi Paula, a bit late in reading this post - got myself involved with the writers' community this past week.

Great to hear you enjoyed the get-together, but it would have been nicer still if you had that camera with you.

Treasure those moments with your mom, and I wish her well.

Cottage Smallholder said...

I'm so glad that the visit went well - especially as you were expecting it to be tense.

I've tagged you on this post on my blog http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/tagged-7033
do hope that you want to play!

Amy Snow said...

Eurgh! You're MY favourite child, ok? :) Just make sure you hug her as much as possible when you get the chance.