Search This Blog

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Downtime

What with feeling like crap all week, and the weather turning sodden, not much has been going on at the ol' homestead.  We had plans to have the neighbors over for sauerbraten and had to scrap them twice.  The roast in now par-cooked and in the freezer.  Thursday was gloriously sunny, and it killed me to stay inside, nursing this cold, instead of getting outside to clean up the tomato and cucurbit beds, which look like hell.  I know myself too well; if I'd suited up into my overalls, I wouldn't have quit after a decent interval, and would have worked myself into a serious setback.  And now Steve is sick (again) as well, so between the rain and the toasty wood stove, we are reading and drinking coffee, and otherwise taking it easy.
I am re-reading (skimming, actually) The Rodale Book of Composting, to try to figure out what's going wrong with my compost pile.  It turns out everything.  This summer I made the mistake of joining my two compost bins together, in the hope that a larger pile would generate more heat.  All it did was make the pile flatter, and much, much harder to cover.  I tried affixing a tarp over the whole thing, but it blew aside during the first storm we had last week.  So now it is too flat, and exposed to the rain.  I need to get back to a three foot by three foot pile, but have an idea for what to do in future with which I'll experiment first and then report on it. 

I have also not been able to weed the flower bed and get into the ground all the fall bulbs that I bought in September.  I also wanted to cut back the salvia and move them to the back of the bed.  Never have I seen salvia get so tall!  The bees and hummingbirds loved them, so they need to stay.  Actually, since planting the garden, the whole backyard has come alive with birds.  We get much more of them in the beds now, and I haven't had to do anything like set out bird feeders, or set out water.  I think they get water in Larry's fountain next door.  It's pretty perfect, as far as birds are concerned.  Later this winter I need to research and build nesting boxes for things like the swifts that fly around here.  A bat house would also be a good investment, since we all know how much I love bats.

In the meantime, I'm happy to report that my half-assed greenhouse has been holding up in the storms we've had, so it's probable that my lettuces will survive the winter just fine.

Now if I could only get out there and get them planted. 

Why is it that even though we know we need to take care of ourselves that we feel so darn guilty doing it?  Why does forced downtime make us so anxious? I have to admit that I'm one of those people who can happily relax doing next to nothing at all, but only if I've worked at something else enough to feel I've earned it.  And I didn't do anything to earn this cold.  I think I'll file some paperwork and clear off my desk. 

And then go take a nap.

2 comments:

Miriam said...

You're doing the right thing! And if you're worried about succumbing to the urge to work instead of get better, put your overalls in the freezer. That will make you think twice before putting them on!

Jennifer Montero said...

I'm late commenting, so I hope this finds you well and truly recovered and having ticked a few jobs off of your list. Good news on the sturdy greenhouse!