Search This Blog

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Dutch Baby For My Deutsch Baby

Steve had a lousy week this week, which culminated in a truly crappy Friday night.  This Wednesday morning at around one, and long after we'd gone to bed, I heard my cell phone ringing in the living room.  I got up and groggily pinballed my way down the hall to the living room just in time to hear the voice mail alert go off.  So I called voice mall and it was Steve's work: a server had crashed and they were having a bad time getting it back up again.  He was up until three that morning before he finally came back to bed. 

Then last night after the close of business they were to put in the fix, which necessitated Steve leaving up his work machine and checking in periodically until around eight PM our time (which is eleven on the east coast).  Only the file serving software they'd been given by a vendor who shall remain nameless would not let the server boot up.  Steve got stuck on the phone with the guys back east until one AM this morning when he realized it was four their time and he wasn't going to be of much help to them at this point.  So he came to bed, and got up again at five our time to call in and see what was going on.  He tried going back to bed around nine, but sleep wasn't happening, so he gave up and joined me for coffee.

I was going to make us oatmeal for breakfast, since he can't have cereals or grains at breakfast during the week, but he wanted something better.  He wanted a Dutch baby, so that's what he got.

Dutch Baby

Dutch babies are essentially an individual Yorkshire pudding served with lemon wedges and powdered sugar.  We'd had them out a weekend or so ago for the first time and enjoyed them, so the first thing I did when I got home was to look up recipes for them.  I'm going to give you the first recipe that I tried, exactly as I'd tried it, because it was spectacularly successful.

Dutch babies just out of the oven, falling already
Dutch Babies

This makes enough for two Dutch babies.

Ingredients:

1 stick of butter
4 large eggs
1 cup regular flour 
1 tsp. salt
1 cup whole milk


Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.

In a bowl (preferably a batter bowl) beat the eggs until they're light and frothy.   Add one half cup of the flour and incorporate and then the other half cup of flour and the salt and incorporate that.  Add the milk a little at a time to make a smooth batter, which should resemble heavy cream.*

Put two skillets in the oven to heat up.#  Once they're hot, cut up the butter and divide between the two hot pans.  Put back in the oven to melt completely, but don't let it burn.

Take the pans out again and divide the batter evenly into each.  Put the pans back into the oven and bake for 15 minutes.  Watch toward the end to make sure the babies don't burn. The pancakes will look like they're minding their own business at first and the minute you look away they'll be  way puffed up and looking like they want to crawl out of the pan.  Just watch and make sure the tops don't get too brown.

Remove from the oven when done and set onto cooling racks to protect your surface.  Serve by sliding onto large plates with a large pancake turner.  The pans are really smoking' hot at this point, so be careful.

Serve with lemon wedges and powdered sugar.

* This method of beating the flour into the eggs and then gradually adding the milk is a great way to get your crepe batter smooth.  I learned it from my Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques cookbook.

# I do not need to tell you not to use pans with plastic handles for this recipe.  I have two deBuyer steel pans,  but you could use anything as long as it's fairly shallow and all metal.

1 comment:

jules said...

Oh my! My DH introduced me to dutch babies and I just LOVE them. Maybe I can get him to make me one again soon. You are very sweet to yours. These look yum!