Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Hoop De Don't

It all started with Tamar Haspel's post Hoop-de-doo on Starving off the Land.  She got me thinking about what I was planning and it dawned on me that with a little more planning, I could span two beds together instead of separately. 

The beds I was going to cover
 She also got me thinking about the beds that I'd chosen for my winter garden.  Being made of re-purposed plastic decking, and hanging out for the better part of the afternoon in shade, it made more sense to put the hoop house over the two beds that are made of wood, and have sun most of the day.  Things would grow better there and the wood would last longer being protected from the rainy season.

The beds I will cover.  I've cleaned them up, though.
Except I didn't make a hoop house. 

I was trying to avoid having to frame a door, so I over-engineered a PVC frame.

I don't think I could have made it any flimsier.
 Covered in six mil plastic, it looks like a house tented for termites.  If I'm lucky, it won't fly away in the first storm and wind up on someone's radar.

Hoop-de-don't.
I have concrete patio pavers placed around the bottom to help hold the plastic down and keep breezes from blowing up its skirts, but honestly?  I'm sorry I didn't make it like hers, which I think has a much better chance of lasting through the winter.

At least it cost me less than a hundred bucks, but that's not going to cheer me up when my winter lettuces go to hell.

4 comments:

Tamar@StarvingofftheLand said...

I shudder to think that anything I do sets an example!

I think all you'd have to do to make sure you don't lose your house in the wind is attach it securely to those wooden beds. Rip a 2x4 into thin strips, and nail the strips to the beds with the plastic in between.

At least, that's what we're hoping will prevent our house from blowing away ...

But you get major credit for getting that up and runing so quickly! We don't have our trussing done yet.

becky3086 said...

Well, I don't know how much wind you have where you are (don't know where you are) but I think it looks great. I'd put a little heater in it and grow all year long. As a matter a fact, I have one made of wood and plastic that I call a greenhouse and I do just that :)

Jennifer Montero said...

Are you sure you haven't got E.T. in there? I'm sure remember that tent from the last part of the movie when the feds had E.T. and he was sick and only the love of a young boy could save him....

I expect that will work great. I've had problems with ventilation in our polytunnels and with your method you can roll up the sides on warm days to let a breeze through. And you will be so happy that you've built something which you can stand up in to work.

Paula said...

Hey- it does look like ET's tent!

Unfortunately, the only beasts it will harbor are slugs...and maybe the occasional spider.

Tamar- your idea for the plastic is a good one, but I'm hoping that the pavers hold things done sufficiently....

Our winters aren't that severe Becky, so I'd cover stuff inside with my plastic cloches if it looked like it was going to get too terribly cold. I'm trying to keep costs down and eat more seasonally anyway, so a heater is an expense I can probably do without. But thanks for the suggestion, just the same!