Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Its Time Had Come

Our new fridge came today.   This is exciting only if you knew how much I truly hated our old fridge, which is a useless side-by-side.

I've been complaining (vociferously) about the old one ever since we moved in two years ago, and I dunno, I guess the planets lined up correctly because Steve went for it this weekend.  I was dawdling on our way into Home Depot, so Steve wandered over to the appliance section to look at the refrigerators. They had a ten percent off special, and the sales guy gave us all the dope on the tax credit and the $50 rebate from the Energy Trust of Oregon.  Since the special was on until Wednesday and it was only Saturday, we said we'd think about it.

Steve looked up the energy usage of the old fridge, which turned out to be almost twice as much as the new fridge, even though the old fridge, which was built in 1999, was an energy star at the time.  He calculated that even if we kept the old fridge for nine more years, we would save $386.   His calculation didn't factor in the rising cost of energy, so the energy savings potential was even higher.

The fridge we chose was an LG french door type, with the freezer on the bottom, in white, with no water in the door, which we never wanted anyway.  So it was the least expensive of the french door types.  I was very comfortable buying LG, even though I hadn't done any research on them because the Coolbot folks recommend LG air conditioners over all else.  I figure that with the thousands of Coolbots sold, and the Coolbot people recommending LG air conditioners over all else, LG must understand refrigeration pretty well.  In addition, the LG label at the store indicated that this model refrigerator (which was the twenty-five cubic feet size) uses thirty percent less energy than the minimum cited by the government.  The yellow Energyguide label shows the energy consumption to be lower than their minimum as well.

Notice how the interior color between the top and the bottom is different?  That's because the freezer has an incandescent appliance bulb, but the refrigerator section sports  cool LED lighting.

All in all, I'm really happy with this turn of events. 

I think this means that I have to be a good girl going forward, because this thing goes off the charts on my happiness meter. 

I realize that probably doesn't say much about my sophistication, but I really, really hated the old fridge.

11 comments:

becky3086 said...

I kind of had to laugh about your 1999 frig. I would be so happy to have it. I bet my frig was made around 1980. It has been painted with a brush, lol. Still works, leaks like crazy when it defrosts. Maybe it is younger than I think but I doubt it. Never had a side but side. Good for you!

Paula said...

Sorry about that- you're making me feel just a little guilty!

Skip looking at SBS fridges- they are the worst idea for space. I like the freezer on the bottom because I'm not in the freezer that much, so it brings everything I need up where I can get it out without hurting my sketchy back. Muuuuch better!

Miriam said...

Here's more evidence that you and Kim are twins in some alternate universe: she had an absolute hate on for the fridge that was here in the house when we bought it. Nothing would make her happy until we replaced it. I didn't fully understand why she hated it so much, but some things you don't question -you just go with the flow. I hope your new fridge makes you as happy as ours made her! (And we're completely with you on the advantages of the freezer on the bottom!)

Jennifer Montero said...

Now I have fridge envy. In the UK they sell "American style refridgerators" but most English style homes have doorways and kitchens too small to accommodate them.

One day I will have my big fridge with the ice maker in the door...and taps that mix hot and cold water...and a garbage disposal...and a second bathroom...

Paula said...

Miriam- all it takes is something to constantly irritate you. And I do really love my new fridge!!

Ah Jennifer- at least you get to live a 'quaint' lifestyle out in the country! Ice makers, whether they're in the door or not, are vastly overrated. They all make the ice taste funky. I remember the lady across the street in Florida's ice always tasting faintly of garlic, of all things. Not real good with the lemonade. I prefer making my ice the old-fashioned way, and I do. Doesn't mess with the whiskey.

jules said...

I love our bottom freezer fridge. We don't have french doors, but that is ok. Just be sure that BOTH doors are closed all the way. One of our friends got a fridge just like ours, except with the french doors on top, and came home one day to spoiled food because his kid didn't shut the one door all the way. I think it had to close in a particular order, like one first then the other, and he didn't do that.

Doncha just love new appliances? All shiny and new!

Jenny Debeaux said...

We have an LG fridge just like yours and I think it's brilliant. Food keeps really well in it, too. BTW, there is an alarm beep, if you don't shut the door(s) properly or if you have the fridge open for too long. Very useful!
For your info, Jennifer, we bought ours at Currys (UK) or some similar shop at a very good price.

Paula said...

Thanks Jules- I noticed that the doors require attention closing, plus, as Jenny pointed out, it has a door ajar alarm, which is actually pretty loud. You can't just stand there and survey the contents. We don't have kids, either, so we should be okay in that department.

Toni aka irishlas said...

Nice fridge there, little lady!

Sorry, I have to disagree - I love my icemaker. It's not in the door which I didn't want, but, I hate filling ice cube trays...

You're right that you do have to be careful of odors. The ice cubes will pick them up. I guess because I'm aware of this I've never had a funny tasting ice cube!

Our freezer is on the bottom and was left slightly ajar by accident. It is easy to do. You only have to do it once, however, and you won't do it again!

Have a great weekend!

jules said...

I have to agree with irishlas there. I filled ice cube trays for.ever. Then, my DH installed the ice maker we got when we got the fridge, for our anniversary one year. Heaven, I'm in heaven. I hear those cubitos drop and I laugh and say, 'did you hear that? icecubes!" He just laughs at me.

Paula said...

I think an ice maker matters more if you go through a lot of ice. I only use ice for cocktails, and since I'm usually drinking wine or beer and the cocktails don't happen so often, I just don't go through a lot of ice. Even during the summer.

But if you do go through a lot of ice, I could see where an ice maker would be a boon...