Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Jewelry and Birthdays

Last night I was being silly at the table, entertaining my husband, and while looking at me bemused, Steve's expression suddenly turned stern.

"When did you take your earrings out?" he asked, looking intently at my right ear.

I constantly wear this tiny pair of white gold hoops that barely clear my ear lobes.  I've had them in for several years, partly because they are comfortable enough to wear to bed, and partly because they are a serious hassle to get into my ears. So I wear them 24/7/365.  We got them in Germany at Christ's (pronounced Krists) in Kaiserslautern four years ago when we were there for World Cup 2006, and I've pretty much worn only them since then. 

I reached up for the ear he was staring at and felt nothing but my ear.  I was instantly upset, because I knew I'd probably never find it.  I've no idea when it went missing.  We searched the bed and behind it, we searched the shower and bathroom, we searched all over the house.  I searched outside by the tomatoes because we'd been picking them.  It's gone, and I'm heartbroken. 

It's stupid to be upset over something like that, especially when you don't really wear jewelry, or maybe that's why I was upset.  These earrings are the only thing I wear, in addition to my wedding ring.  They were both (the earrings and the wedding ring) given to me by my husband and they both remind me of happy days.  Plus, I really liked those little earrings.  But what a bummer to lose one, and especially right before my birthday.

Late last night I was lamenting my loss, and the fact that I couldn't find any of my other 'good' earrings, meaning the pair he bought me for our first Christmas that I don't like as well because they are bigger hoops, and my diamond earrings which I've had for a very long time.  They are somewhere in the house, tucked into a box that I haven't opened yet, and I just don't know where they are.

"That's okay," said Steve.  "I've already researched jewelry stores in Oregon City and we'll go get you a new pair tomorrow.  If I have time," he added. Work has been a pill for him lately.

So even though I didn't really want jewelry for my birthday today, it looks like I'll be getting some anyway. 

I'll tell you one thing, though- it's my husband that's the real gem.

6 comments:

Joleen said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Paula said...

Thank you Joleen!

Toni aka irishlas said...

First off, I have to say, when I read your opening lines to this blog post I thought things were going to get a little racy..;-)

You do have a gem of a man, but, he has a pretty precious jewel himself.

Tamar@StarvingofftheLand said...

I feel your pain! The only jewelry I wear is my wedding ring, and although it's not a particularly valuable piece, Kevin went all over New York to find just the right ring -- one that could double as an engagement and wedding ring, since I'd told him I didn't want an engagement ring. The value of pieces like that, and your earrings, is in the history, and the only way to replace it is to create new history. In a few years, you'll be talking about how much the new earrings mean to you because they're the replacements Steve got you when you lost the first ones.

I gotta say, I'm liking Steve more with every post!

Miriam said...

Your birthday today - you just snuck that in! I hope your day has brought you much happiness, and that your year is filled with even more.

Paula said...

Thank you for the well wishes!

The jewelry store in Oregon City was closed, probably because the street in front of it is all torn up. That can't be good for business. I'll call and find out when they'll be open again.