Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Wishes

Cranberry sauce
I've been away for a little while, but wanted to wish my readers a Happy Thanksgiving, with the sincere wish that you all get to spend it with someone you love.  Steve needs a break, so we're spending it at home this year.  Today I made the cranberry sauce and steamed the pumpkins- later I'll peel them, whirl them up in the food processor and then pass them through the food mill, and then refrigerate them until tomorrow, when I'll make pie.  Hopefully I'll get the stringiness to a minimum.  (Next year, it'll be Sweet Meat squashes instead of pie pumpkins- they're sweeter, store longer, and don't get stringier with age like the Sugar Pumpkins do.) 

Our eight pound, free range, fresh turkey is cooling its jets in the garage.  Normally, I wouldn't do this at Thanksgiving time, but last night's low was twenty, and tonight's low will be thirty, and tomorrow, it won't matter.  We're having the coldest November in twenty-five years. Actually, this spring was the coldest and longest in twenty-five years too.  My mother's convinced we're entering another mini ice age, which could very well be the case, but that's fodder for another post.

We were away when the first frost of the year hit, so I came home from sunny warm Phoenix to a desolated garden.  I'm not even sure the kale survived! I'll probably get out there Friday to see what's salvageable and what's heading for the compost pile.

In the meantime it's cook, cook, cook, and then eat, eat, eat.  I'm thankful that even though I've no job and no serious prospects, I still have plenty and relatively few worries. I'm also thankful for the friends I've made through this blog.  And I'm thankful for Steve, for without him, none of the rest of it would matter.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

3 comments:

Grandpa said...

Welcome back! Paula, do you accept payment for cooking, for if you do I really would like you to come to our kitchen and cook all those mouth-watering dishes...:)

I've made a list of what I'm thankful for myself,if you care to read.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Miriam said...

It sounds like you're on your way to a wonderful Thanksgiving - I wish you a delicious dinner, toasty toes by the fire, and the warmth of loved ones all around.

Toni aka irishlas said...

Hope your day was a good one!

I, too, cooked, ate, and now waddle!

Have a great weekend!