Search This Blog

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Bee Hive Progress

I didn't get outside too early today because I spent a chunk of it chasing after a new power source for my laptop.

But here we are so far:


This is one of the follower boards.  I like to use drywall screws with pine because they countersink themselves.  I figure that they should work well enough and the bees won't care.


The hive is built essentially upside down, using the follower board as a template of sorts.


So the hive walls and ends are done.  The two follower boards are resting inside the hive.


Cutting and sanding top bars is pretty much all I did all day.  That one is wrapped because I had to glue a split together.

I won't be able to work on this tomorrow because I have a test at the hospital in the morning, for which I'll be down for the count, and I expect that I'll probably sleep the rest of the day.  Hopefully I'll be awake enough to be able to make a pizza with sauce from home grown tomatoes, because today I'm not getting anything out of the backyard.  Steve is taking me to dinner because of tomorrow.  It shouldn't be a big deal- it's just a good excuse for dinner out!

9 comments:

Miriam said...

That looks like great progress on the hive - I'm really interested in seeing the final project - and seeing what you do with all that wonderful honey!

Good luck tomorrow - I hope things go as well as they possibly can. And enjoy dinner!

Kitchen Mama said...

Paula, I've really enjoyed your comments on ColdAntlerFarm and finally took the time to track down your blog. Good luck with the test at the hospital and I look forward to reading more about your goals.

Arienne

Paula said...

Thanks Miriam!

Thanks for looking for me Arienne, and thanks!

Joleen said...

You're awesome! Good luck tomorrow.

Paula said...

Gee thanks, Joleen!

sew susie said...

Can't wait to see the hive when finished.
The very best for tomorrow and so nice that Steve is spoiling you with a special dinner.

Amy Lagerquist said...

Oooo! I am thinking of doing bees (probably next year), and top bar hives appeal to me, too, mostly because I don't need all the honey a super system would create, and I also would like to be able to get the honey out myself without needing my burly hubby to lift the supers for me. Have you done these before? I will totally enjoy watching how this goes, and learning through your experience!

Toni aka irishlas said...

You're making great progress with the hive - thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Good luck tomorrow and enjoy that meal tonight!

Tamar@StarvingofftheLand said...

That looks fabulous! We shelled out for 2 Langstroth hives (over $200 per), and I'm extremely curious about the top-bar alternative. If it works for you, we may follow suit next year.