Search This Blog

Monday, January 17, 2011

Handful of homegrown pumpkins seeds

...again.  Steve and I had kind of a weird day, meal-wise.  We started with one each cinnamon roll (and froze the rest for the weekend) because I wanted to try the Cut Rounds recipe from Edwardian Farm (and Steve wanted his cinnamon roll).  The cut round recipe sounded very like what we Americans call biscuits, and I bribed Steve into letting me try them by promising gravy for them, which is sawmill gravy- half of the 'biscuits and gravy' of the American South.

The Cut Rounds recipe needs some serious fiddling with.  I own and use a balance scale with both imperial and metric weights, so the weighing of ingredients out in grams was not a problem.  But the recipe was still way too dry.  It also didn't have any salt (maybe because it had so much baking powder; honestly, thirty-five grams looks like two tablespoons) but it still needed at least a pinch.  The texture was right; it was more like bread and not like a scone, or an American biscuit.  They also didn't rise very well, and I suspect that was because the temperature was too low.  180C is roughly 350F; biscuits are usually baked at around 400F.  I will say that they did split and toast up well, though, so I would try making them again.   At least once more.

At any rate, between the cinnamon roll and the biscuits and cut rounds, we were stodgily full for the better part of the day.  I had a handful of pumpkin seeds and two glasses of Johnnie Black for dinner.

Some role model.

6 comments:

becky3086 said...

I am loving watching Edwardian Farm! It is great to see a show like this that doesn't rely on conflict between the participants. I wish there were more like it.
I don't think I have gotten to this episide though with the Cut Rounds. I would add a little more salt, baking powder and soda need salt to work right.

Toffeeapple said...

I've managed to locate the original recipe from the chef who gave it to Ruth, would you like it?

Paula said...

Toffeeapple- sure! I'll compare it to the original I found through links from the BBC blog I found.

Becky3086- I'll definitely do that. The recipe I found doesn't require soda, though, which I thought odd because all American recipes that I've run across that have buttermilk in them also call for a little soda in addition to the baking powder to take advantage of the acid in the buttermilk. So I may be adding soda later as well!

Toffeeapple said...

Let's see if this will work - posted by Maggie on January 2nd at 3.22pm - about the 16th post down.

http://www.wildfood.info/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2912#unread

I hope the link works, if not I'll write it out for you.

Toffeeapple said...

If my last link didn't work, you can try here, a message from Richard the chef.

Hi Everyone
Hope you enjoyed the programme
If anyone would like a printout of the recipe and some photos, just email me at richard.hunt@richardsonhotels.co.uk

All the Best

Richard

Paula said...

Thanks Toffeapple- the first link worked just fine and the recipe in it by Richard Hunt was the one that I used. Thanks again for your kindness in getting the links together.