Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sloppy Joes From Scratch Scratch

That's one of Steve's beers in the back- an Alt

Today I wanted to take it somewhat easy and just heat up the leftover stuffed cabbage for dinner.  Steve pouted when I informed him of my plans.

"What? What did I say I'd make you?"

He's been giving me a bad time lately about the things I say I'm going to make and then don't because other things come up or I've changed my mind.  For instance, I've been labeled a cookie tease.

"You said you were going to make Sloppy Joes," he answered in a mournful tone.

I'd forgotten.  And I had to do it because I had a pound of ground beef in the fridge that needed to be cooked.  Today.

I knew my Joy of Cooking had the recipe for Sloppy Joes from scratch, but I also knew that it took both ketchup, and I wasn't going to use up my precious homemade ketchup on Sloppy Joes (although I'm sure they'd be delicious), and chili sauce, which I don't have.  And all the recipes for Sloppy Joes from scratch I found on the internet called for ketchup as well.  So I cobbled together a recipe for Sloppy Joes from scratch scratch.  Well, close enough if you don't count the garlic powder and prepared mustard.  They were really good, and really easy.

Sloppy Joes From Scratch Scratch

3 Tb vegetable oil
1 pound ground beef
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 15oz. can of tomato sauce, and enough water to swirl it clean (like a third of a cup)
3 Tb brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar (or wine vinegar, or white vinegar)
1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or one clove fresh, minced)
1 healthy pinch of each of the following: ground cloves, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and celery seeds
A dash each of paprika and cayenne (or Hungarian Half-sharp, which is as hot as cayenne)
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the ground beef (make sure you get it good and brown- makes a better Joe) in a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large frying pan that has a lid.   Shove all the meat aside and sweat the chopped onion in the rest of the vegetable oil with a pinch or two of salt, and add the chopped bell pepper and cook until the peppers are done and the onions are translucent.    Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.  Reduce the heat, put a lid on it and simmer for 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve on toasted hamburger buns.

By the way, that Alt was delish.

And now if you'll excuse me, I need to go find a cookie recipe.

1 comment:

ILoveMyDogandMy Music said...

I'm going to try this..Sounds delicious..