Search This Blog

Monday, January 17, 2011

Sunday, 16 January 2011: Brotzeit, with pickled homegrown onions and cukes

Brotzeit's literal translation is 'bread time'.  The Germans tend to eat their largest meal of the day at lunch, and dinner is frequently open-face sandwiches of bread and cold cuts, eaten with pickles and radishes.  We  tend toward a few slices of homemade bread, some nice 'eating' cheese, a few slices of dry sausage, and a variety of pickled and cured things like olives, pickles, pickled mushrooms, etc., and then some fresh stuff like sliced apples, celery sticks, and radishes, which are de rigeur for Brotzeit.

Steve wasn't very hungry last night (after having filled himself up all day on cinnamon rolls) so when I suggested Brotzeit, that appealed to him.  I was afraid that I'd forgotten to make sure we had something from the garden, and then I remembered that the pickled cucumbers and onions came from the garden, which was kind of a relief.  I wouldn't want to let anybody down here.

2 comments:

Miriam said...

You are SOOOO far from letting anyone down! On the contrary, you are our role model!

Paula said...

Miriam- see what I ate today, and then tell me if I'm still a role model. Honestly- I'm not sure how you can think that. You're the one on acreage- not me. It should be the other way around!