Search This Blog

Thursday, February 3, 2011

For Kitchen Mama: Panade

I didn't really use a recipe per se, but adapted one to suit how much bread and greens I had.  I think the making of panade is pretty loose anyway, so here is what I did:

Preheat the oven to 350F/180C

Butter a casserole

Large onion             cut in half, slice in 1/4" pieces
                                   and saute in oil, until tender,
                                   but not limp.  Add....

Couple cloves          sliced thinly (and a pinch of
of garlic                    red pepper flakes, opt.)    
                                   once the garlic is cooked
                                   but not brown, transfer
                                   to a large bowl to cool.
                                                          
Large handful          chopped- wilt in same pan
of greens                   and when done, add to                                         
                                   ingredients in bowl

3 cups stale             cube in 1 inch pieces
bread                        and add to bowl and toss

4 ounces                   grate and add to bowl
Swiss cheese

salt and pepper        add salt and pepper and
                                   toss.  Dump all into
                                   buttered casserole and
                                   press to fit evenly

2 cups chicken        heat and pour over
stock                         ingredients in casserole

Romano cheese       grate over top (opt. - if
                                   you do this, you
                                   should cover the
                                   casserole)                                                   

Bake at 350F/180C for an hour or until bubbly and golden.

I've seen recipes that had mushrooms in this as well, so I think you could do with whatever you have.  The original recipe calls for Swiss chard, which I don't like, so I used kale and collards.

This was really good with a glass of chilled dry rose.

I also had a serving of this fried up in butter with an egg on it this morning for breakfast- delicious!

2 comments:

Kitchen Mama said...

Thanks! This sounds like a terrific way to use up my homemade bread. And I love love love greens. Isn't everything good with a glass of wine? :-)

Paula said...

I'm not one to mix wine and chocolate together, but yeah, I know what you mean!