Search This Blog

Monday, February 21, 2011

Whoopsie

You can always tell when I've been busy; I don't post for awhile.  Within the last day or so I finished another shelf for the hutch and started another.  Saturday I moved the compost pile and added more straw to it; it was soaked with all the rain we had, so I covered it with a tarp this time.  I'll check in a day or so to see if maybe, just maybe this time it's getting hot.  I sure hope so; potato sowing season is just around the corner.

Today's chores consisted of putting the first coat of stain on the hutch shelf on which I'm currently working and clearing off the bench so that I could start a few more seeds.  Today I started the Stuttgarter onions, radicchio 'Treviso', curly endive 'Tres Fine', celery 'Utah', and broccoli 'Calabrese'.

I also got started on a much needed medicine chest for Steve's bathroom at the bottom of which I'm going to put a towel bar for old-fashioned roller towels.  Steve's hands, being bigger than mine, leave a very wet turkish hand towel, and his bathroom is much colder than mine, so his hand towels sour in a twinkling, or so it would seem.  I have an extremely sensitive nose, so I decided that what that boy needs are some roller towels.  So I searched around online and found a source for 'huck' toweling.  I'll blog all about it later after I'm done so you can see what I'm talking about.  I was making decent progress on it until I slipped and shoved a brand new, three quarter inch wood chisel into my left thumb.

I'm looking into stitches and a tetanus shot tomorrow.  I really hate when I hurt myself; I can't put any pressure on my thumb without opening it up, and it's cramping my style.  I'll be more careful next time and I have an idea for a better approach to what I'm doing.

In the meantime, though, ho hum.  I can't do anything until I get past the gushing portion of the recovery.
But what a dummy, huh?

Oh and speaking of whoopsie, I think I have a few peas sprouting, but it might be too early to tell just yet.

9 comments:

Maria said...

get yourself some stitches!!! sorry to hear you've had an accident, I hope you recover quickly - I know it's pain to be stopped by injury, especially for the impatient ( I relate).

I'm loving the roller towel idea though!

Ruth @ Hope, Joy and Faith Farm said...

Wow, you've been busy... Can't wait to see your pictures. We had a bit of rain finally here, so my compost pile is wet too. They are predicting snow to sea level possibly on Weds/Thurs. I am excited! Hope your injury gets better quickly. Those type of things definitly put a cramp in anyone's style, huh?

Rae said...

Yikes! No good! I hate stitches. Hate hate hate. Out of all my injuries, I've only endured stitches twice. Once as a toddler, and once after a car accident. Good ole butterfly bandage for me. :) Hope you don't need many, if any, and that you heal quickly!

Paula said...

Thanks Maria- I have an appointment at 3:20 this afternoon.

They definitely do, Ruth. It almost sounds like you're in my area because we have the same forecast!

I've never had a butterfly bandage, and I've only needed stitches once before (curiously, on the same thumb, on another wood-working project. You'd think I'd learn!). So stitches twice, and butterfly bandages otherwise- what the hell have you been doing girl?!

Miriam said...

Oh, so sorry about your thumb! It's not until we hurt ourselves that we realize how essential that particular body part is to our daily routine - and I'm speaking from experience! I did a number on a finger once with a deadly sharp bagel slicer...I still cringe thinking about it. Stitches sound in order, and I'm glad you're headed there this afternoon - good luck!

Paula said...

Bagel slicers are notorious for getting fingers! Usually when I'm about to do something potentially dangerous, I envision hurting myself, shudder with horror, and then say out loud, "I'm not gonna do that. I'm not gonna hurt myself, and everything will be okay" And it is.

I didn't do that this time.

Rae said...

Goodness, what haven't I done? :) I grew up in the country, and suffered many mishaps...clutz that I am, I still experience stupid moments. I've got scars from broken glass, new knife, horse kicked me, fell out of a tree, horse pulled its foot when I was shoeing and I hadn't nipped the nail end yet, recently sliced my finger open with pruning shears. The list goes on and on. Can't count how many tetanus shots I've had! The only times I got stitches were when I split my lip on my crib as a toddler, and when I took a side window out in a car wreck a few years ago (seatbelt on, thick skull!) Again, hate stitches. Happier to clean it up and slap on a butterfly bandage. :) Likely not always the best thing to do, but I prefer to go to the doctor no more than every couple years.

Kate said...

Ouch! It sucks when we injure ourselves. Maybe you're like me and don't like to wear gloves? My hands are always thrashed, except in winter when there's not much going on. Hope your thumb is doing better now.

Jennifer Montero said...

Cripes, I don't check in for awhile and I find you self-harming ;-) I hope it's on the mend by now. No doubt you're up to your elbows in soil already.