Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

Cock Robin


I have been trying to get this guy on film record for several days now.  I think he's taken up residence because I've seen him every day, several times a day, for the last week to week and a half now.  Every once in a while I see a hen robin popping about, but I have a feeling that she might be sitting on a clutch.  Anyway- this little guy usually starts in the peas, and works his way down the bed, then hops over to the next bed, working his way up, then hops over to the next bed, etc., until he finally winds up in the asparagus bed.

Male and female robins look almost the same; males have a black head, and on females the head is the same color as her back, which is the same color as his back.  Her breast is red as well, but not as bright.  Juveniles look a lot like their parents, except that their breasts are speckled.

Robins pair off during the breeding season, but after the kids have moved out, Mom and Dad join the rest of the robins and roost communally.  Such swingers!

I'm glad this little guy decided to stick around.  It's fun to look for him every day.

2 comments:

Rae said...

Swingers... lol... You crack me up!

Thanks for the info. I never knew how to tell them apart!

Paula said...

That was honestly the first thing I thought of when I read about their sleeping habits...