Search This Blog

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Happy Vernal Equinox!!

Neighborhood trees in bloom.
It's here! It's finally here! Spring has finally arrived, and I'm relieved, frankly.  The average last frost date for my area won't happen for another few weeks, but all the signs that spring is here are out there.

Except for the weather, which finally broke.  We've been having day after day after day of rain, and I was getting a little more than antsy because even though my bee hive is done, the stand for it out in the yard is not.  The bees will be ready for pickup on 2 April, and I need to have everything ready for them.  We had a couple of posts set in concrete that the previous owner left lying around, and rather than get rid of them when cleaning up, I set them aside knowing they'd be useful for something someday.  It turned out they'd be useful for a stand for the hive, so yesterday morning dawned sunny, and Steve helped me set them.

I'm glad he did most of the digging.  Actually, he did all of the digging.
See what I mean? Had to be good for something....
Yay! All set.  Now all I need to do is set the crosspieces. 
It always amazes me how fast I can get my work jacket dirty. And how did I do that, if Steve did all the digging?

In other news, I've just about finished the hutch. I only have a few finishing nails to set, but my knees and arms could only take so much crouching and hammering.  I decided not to varnish it until I have at least the breakfast nook built so that I can do it all at once, plus later would be good so that I can open windows while the coats dry.  I'll take a picture of it for you once I get the dishes into it, because it's so dark it doesn't photograph well at all.


But back to the vernal equinox:  here are the local signs of spring:

Budding lilac.  My sister in California says hers has blooms on it already, but that's what a difference in latitude will get you.
Returning peonies.  All four are coming up, and I'm really relieved.
Tulip in waiting.
Bulb cluster out front.  Almost there.
I love the different shades of purple and blue  on this hyacinth.

Our lone blooming daffodil.
It's not exactly June busting out all over, but after a dreary winter, it's almost as good.

11 comments:

Miriam said...

When I read the title of your post I thought "Isn't the equinox around the 20th or 21st? It's only the 3rd or 4th, isn't it" Goodness...where did March go?!!

You're making great progress with all your projects, and I, too, am often mystified at how I end up so dirty when all I did was collect a few eggs, or water the plants in the greenhouse, or unload a few things from the car...

Maria said...

I hear you! I can't wait for spring after winter, and love seeing the first bulbs come up - crocus and daffodils in our garden (I was too late to plant snowdrops this year...)

Danni said...

Wow, wow, wow! Your bulbs are so much farther along than mine are! My daffodils are still working on growing their little buds, they're weeks away from blooming...no sign of hyacinths yet..and my peonies? Well, hold on..let me run out and check...

Danni said...

Oh dear...no sign of my peonies...this last winter may have finally been just too much for them. :-(

Paula said...

Miriam- I was a dirty kid, too. My mother could not understand how I could come home with my dress in fairly good shape, but my white cotton slip so incredibly filthy! It was because I was cleaning up the slide with it at recess....

Maria- every time it's the end of one season, I am soooo ready for the next season.

Danni- don't freak out about your peonies yet. They handle cold really, really well. They were at the house in Mt Shasta where I lived in an attic apartment, and they came up every spring. I just think things need to warm up a little for you.

Rae said...

Great pics! Additionally, thanks, as I now have a hankering to watch Carousel. LJ hates that movie. Lol.

Paula said...

Thanks Rae! Carousel is one old movie that I haven't seen, so I went and read the synopsis. I'm with LJ- the plot stinks. I'm assuming that you want to see it for the music? That, I can understand; I'm a big Rogers and Hammerstein fan.

Rae said...

Yeah, for the music. I'm a fan of Jones and MacRae together, and it has a lot of good music and some great dance routines. LJ can't handle the wifebeating factor. The part where Julie tells her daughter that it's possible for someone to hit you hard and have it not hurt at all... LJ can't handle it. After seeing it once, he refused to ever watch it again. Great musical, horrible story.

Paula said...

Then you probably like Oklahoma! which I like- haven't seen it in a really long time though.....

Rae said...

Well of course! :) Dad introduced me to Rogers and Hammerstein when I was very young. I've had the soundtracks nearly memorized since I was little. Lol. Though, my fav musical is Westside Story. Did you know that Rita Moreno played Tuptim in The King and I? I didn't realize it until just a couple years ago. Random trivia for ya!

Paula said...

No I didn't know that about Rita Moreno- I'll have to look for her the next time I watch it.

My favorite musical is My Fair Lady, but that's Lerner and Loewe. It was my parents' copy, and I used to put it on the turntable and then wash and wax and buff my mom's huge kitchen and family room floor to it. It made an otherwise onerous chore kind of enjoyable. I mentioned this to my buddy Dave and he managed to find me an exact copy of the same version record, which I have framed in the utility room. I wonder if I'd be more inclined to mop if I actually had a turntable on which to spin it...