Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2011

It's All Fran's Fault

In my Home Remedies for Colds post, Fran commented on liking chicken laksa for colds, which is a spicy asian soup.  I've never seen laksa on menus in these parts, but I knew that pho, which is a Vietnamese soup, can be had.  I've also had it before and I like it. Next thing I knew, I wanted some. I wanted some badly.  A hot and spicy noodle soup with two of my absolute favorite herbs, basil and cilantro, in it.  It sounded like the very thing for this cold. Well, maybe the cold was a good excuse for the pho.

Trouble is, Steve and I haven't had Vietnamese food since we left Beaverton two years ago, and the internet search doesn't always point out all the Vietnamese restaurants there are in a given area. Why is that?  I've noticed tons of Vietnamese grills and noodle parlors all over the place when I'm not looking for them.   Now when I want one I can't find one fairly close.  Except one, which is right over the river from us in Oregon City, maybe five minutes away.  We had no idea if it was any good, or even open, but we went anyway.

I'm really glad we did- it was great!  The food, the service, everything.  We hadn't eaten since breakfast, so we shared salad roll and egg roll appetizers.  Steve was in the mood for rice (actually, he's always in the mood for rice but it seriously messes with his blood sugar, so I don't make it) so he had the grilled pork and rice.  I had the chicken pho, which was really, really good, and just what I wanted, and just what I needed. Hot. Chickeny. Noodly. Spicy. Mmmmm.

Tonight we are having Alaskan cod, because it's on the okay list and because it was on sale.  I love cod; it's one of my favorite fishes. We'll have it with some vegetable from the back yard, probably green beans.   It will be good, and I will like it.

But honestly?

I'd rather to go back and get another bowl of pho.  Thanks, Fran.

9 comments:

fran said...

Sounds like it was good for the heart and the spirit, (and hopefully, the body). Now, whenever you have a cold, you'll want pho, and think of me! :) We moved to half an acre in Tasmania (home of the eucalypt trees, and convicts...)three years ago. Tasmania is wonderful for many things (like spectacular wilderness, relaxed friendly people, fresh air, plenty of water, and space to grow fruit and vegies and chickens) It is. however, not so good on the laksa and pho front, and making it yourself is SO not the point when you have a cold.....

Miriam said...

I just love Vietnamese food, and other than the sugar that sometimes goes into it, it's a pretty safe food given my long list of things not to eat. So I'm with you on the pho love! Makes me want some, and there are no Vietnamese or Thai restaurants less than an hour's drive away from us. Rats...

Paula said...

Oh it was, Fran, it was good for everything. And you are right; making it yourself (as if) is SO not the point.

Speaking of making it yourself, Miriam, would it be worth learning how to make your own? I don't know about you, but not being able to get something when you have your face fixed for it is one of life's keener disappointments. It is for me, anyway.

sissyjane said...

Would brown rice be better for the sugar? My levels of everything bad went way down when I stopped eating "white" food.

Paula said...

It might, sissyjane. I actually bought brown rice the last time I bought it, but I haven't had the guts to try it on him. Maybe I'll make us a chicken cacciatore with rice soon. I haven't had that in years.

fran said...

guess what- I've got a cold!!

Paula said...

Ah! Sorry about that Fran. I'm feeling much, much better, so take a look at the comments in my Home Remedies for Colds post; there were a lot of good remedies in there. Feel better soon!

jules said...

We are just now discovering the joys of Pho. My DH did a safety class and had to go get sandwiches from the Vietnamese shop and found out they LOVE them some cilantro. In EVERYTHING. So now we are jonesing to try out our local shops for some Pho to try.

Paula said...

I LOVE cilantro. Which is a far cry from when I first had it in something in a Mexican restaurant many, many years ago. I thought it tasted like soap!

For a long time now, I can't decide whether I love basil or cilantro more- I love them both so much! But if I have pho, I can have them both! What's not to love about that?!