Sorry I haven't written guys- I've been up to my eyebrows in things to do.
We've had a spate of sunny days, which means the ground has been drying out enough to dig, so that's what I've been doing. I've been cleaning up beds and spreading bark in front of the hive so that Steve doesn't have to mow in front of it, even though the girls appear to be really focused on their tasks and don't really bother us.
Then yesterday I starting digging up a new bed. It's actually an extension of the bed in which the garlic is growing, but I decided that I didn't like where I'd planned to put the tomatoes, so they are going in the new bed. I spent a large chunk of yesterday cutting up sod and replanting it out front to form better lawn in the bare patches, and need to finish digging the rest of it up so that I can double dig the bed. I'm hoping to get all this done before tomorrow, which is Easter, because the next few days it's supposed to rain like the dickens, and then shower all week. Tomorrow is sow seeds indoors and cut straw day.
So much has been happening! The seed potatoes showed up so I've been hand sewing grow bags from weed stop fabric which I learned from this Instructables video. I am not putting seed potatoes in the ground, however. I don't need holes in my bark paths. I think it was last year that I told Fiona over at The Cottage Smallholder about a method my neighbor in Florida used for growing potatoes. We had very sandy soil in Florida. He'd place his seed potatoes in their beds, and then pile them up with leaves as they grew, and when they were ready for digging up, the leaves had pretty much turned to crumbly soil by then and he had no trouble at all finding and digging potatoes. And they were great spuds! So Fiona tried it, only she did it in grow bags, and she reported that she grew a lot of potatoes this way. My plan is to do the same thing, only I'll leave the rubble out of the bag. I'll grow them on top of the bark in the wider paths, so drainage shouldn't be a problem. I'm also running out of leaves, unfortunately, so I'll use shredded straw as the mulch medium in which to hill them up. As long as I keep the roots covered and the black bags fairly closed around the tops of the plants, things should be okay.
Then also this week, my grain mill showed up, but I'll leave that for another post. We're waiting on a couple of square buckets with lids from US Plastics, and once they're in I can start building the stand for the mill, which I want to keep in the house.
So now I need to don my grubbies and get outside for a torturous day of moving earth. I'll leave you with a shot of my flower border as seen through the garden gate. This is what sunshine looks like in Oregon.