Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Homegrown tomato sauce and onions in goulash

on homemade buttered noodles with poppy seeds...


with a Mediterranean cabbage salad....


I don't know how authentic it is, but when I do goulash, I always have to serve it over buttered noodles with poppy seeds, which to me seems appropriate.  And then because of the crossroads idea of eastern Europe, I like to serve goulash and noodles with a Mediterranean cabbage salad, which is more refreshing than I can describe.  I first learned the salad from Rima, my Jordanian neighbor in Jacksonville, only she made it with escarole.  I do too, when I can get my hands on it, but Sophie Grigson in Sunshine Food has a recipe for essentially the same exact salad, only with cabbage, so I use cabbage most of the time because it's easier to find and cheaper anyway.

It's fairly easy to make, and pretty straightforward:  shred some cabbage as for slaw.  Add some minced onion, maybe a tablespoon or two to start.  Pour about a tablespoon or so of olive oil (extra virgin) and toss to coat the cabbage and the onions.  Add a little salt and lemon juice to taste, and toss it and serve it.  That's pretty much how she taught me- you have to taste for the balance of everything.

German Noodles
This recipe comes from Nita, over at Throwback At Trapper Creek, but has my adaptions for method:

1 egg
1 tablespoon milk, cream, or half and half
1/2 salt
1 cup flour

Beat the egg and milk in a one cup measure and add the salt, and half the flour.  Beat it into something of a batter.  Add a little bit of the remaining half cup of flour until it really comes together.  Dump the rest of the flour on a board (in my case, the island) and dump the batter on top of the flour.  Knead the dough to incorporate the rest of the flour.  Set the dough in a ball shape, dust the top with a little flour, put a small bowl over it and leave it for twenty minutes to a half hour.   When you come back, knead the dough a little, divide it into quarters, and either roll out to one sixteenth of an inch, or use a pasta machine.  Let the large pieces of dough dry a little, and then cut into noodles.   Cook in boiling salted water for about 6-8 minutes.  Drain and toss with butter and poppy seeds.

For the goulash I just used the recipe in the Joy of Cooking, except that I really use a lot of paprika when I make goulash.  I use two tablespoons of paprika when I set it to simmer, and then stir in another tablespoon of paprika right before I go to serve it.  Over noodles. And with cabbage salad.

No comments: