Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Homemade Seed Tape, Day Two

The carrot seed in the tissue paper dried just fine over night.  In fact, it all dried just fine, but the tissue paper was much easier to handle than the toilet paper, which actually started separating and spilling seed, so I definitely don't recommend toilet paper.

See for yourself:

Carrot seeds in the tissue paper
Cut tape


Tape on soil. Can you see the seeds?

This was the fastest and easiest I've ever planted such tiny seed.  I barely covered the tapes in soil after laying them, and the tissue tapes were much easier to manage than the toilet paper tapes. 

The proof of the pudding, of course, will be in how they germinate and how well they are spaced.  I'll report on that as it happens.

5 comments:

Ruth @ Hope, Joy and Faith Farm said...

So basically, you used Kleenex, or a reasonable facsimile, correct? I am going to have to try this, I hate planting small seed...

Ruth @ Hope, Joy and Faith Farm said...

Duh, just read the post I missed. You mean tissue paper like gift wrap tissue. Got 'cha now. I will try it for sure.

Paula said...

I mean tissue paper like gift wrap tissue. If you try it Ruth, I think it dried faster on the parchment paper than it did on the Silpat, but that's only an issue if you only remember to do it at 11:30 at night so you can plant the next day!

Jennifer Montero said...

I just read some seed saver guidelines that said if you're saving tomato seeds (in this case) you can save them on the tissue and when they dry they are stuck to the paper, and can simply be cut around and planted with tissue attached.

As usual you're ahead of the curve!

Nina said...

Great minds think a like! I too used the Mother Earth News article to make seed tapes yesterday. But I didn't have any problems with the TP. I used a lid to a large plastic tote instead of the kitchen counter. The article did say to use a few layers of TP. I think I used 3. Then sparingly use the sugar water. I did not saturate the paper. Then I topped it off with 2 or three more layers and a little sugar water. They're not quite dry yet today but we have about 100% humidity (torrential rain!)so it may take a little while. Using the tote lid I just moved the whole thing some place out of the way.