Search This Blog

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Something Fishy

Tonight Steve and I went out for sushi.  We continue to celebrate our friend Karen's birthday even though she is three thousand miles away in Jacksonville because we got in the habit of taking her to sushi for her birthday, and she'd join us for sushi on my birthday in October.  That way, we were assured of getting sushi at least twice a year, and we're still assured of getting sushi twice a year, because we are still taking Karen out for sushi, even though she's not here in Oregon.

I always get a small hot sake, and an Asahi, and Steve usually gets a small Sapporo.  We usually get the expensive seaweed salad because I love it and we only get it twice a year. Our bill usually starts somewhere in the sixties, and once we got into the seventies (I don't know what we were doing that night).  Tonight we eschewed tuna, because we are trying to be more conscious of what's being over fished and what's in season so we can be responsible little fish eaters, so tuna (mmmmm...Toro....mmmmm) was off the menu for us.  We had mackerel instead.  Not sure I'd do it again.  The mackerel, I mean. Not bad, but I liked everything else better, and as I always say, not bad is not a recommendation.  In any case, we had the otherwise usual stuff and number of items and were pretty well packed to the gunwales by the time we finished.  But curiously, our bill was in the upper forties this time....

Can tuna really be that expensive?  We didn't feel deprived, and I honestly didn't miss it because most (mackerel, remember?) everything else was so wonderful.  But twenty bucks lower?

I'm not complaining, but maybe having a cheaper sushi bill is another vote in favor of not eating tuna.  Sometimes doing the right thing can be hard to do.  Like once Steve and I were going to buy breaded cod filets because they were on sale and because I really love cod, but then realized that we didn't know what time of year they'd been fished, or what method was used (some methods are kinder to the oceans than others) or even whether they were Alaskan cod (okay, in season) or Atlantic cod (not okay, at any time), so we didn't buy them.  It wasn't going to save the fish that were already breaded and frozen on the shelf in front of us that somebody else was going to buy, but you gotta start somewhere.

So Karen, if you're reading this: Happy Birthday.  We missed you, but we didn't miss the tuna.

8 comments:

Rae said...

Mmmmmm.... Sushi. Where do you go? Have you tried Ookii Sushi? It's in the shopping center across 82nd from Wilco. Hole in the wall, but always fresh, and LJ and I can get out of there stuffed for under $50 including a hefty tip (because Ookii is awesome).

I think I need me some sushi takeout after work. Mmmm... sushi... :)

Miriam said...

Living where we do, we're surrounded by fisherfolk, and it's quite easy to get fresh seafood caught locally and, in many cases, sustainably. I just came across the first CSF (community supported fishery) I've ever seen - you pay upfront for eight fish (mostly salmon) and shellfish (mostly shrimp) deliveries. On first glance it seemed a bit expensive, but I'm going to price it out, taking into account the added value of supporting local food systems. No tuna!

Paula said...

Ha ha Rae! Ookii is where we go! Although for a long time we were calling it Okefenokee because we couldn't remember Ookii.

Paula said...

A CSF? That's pretty cool Miriam!

Rae said...

Awesome! I LOVE that place! I've been eating there fairly regularly since the week I moved up here, over 6 years ago. I miss the old waitresses, though. The new gal always forgets that we really don't like ginger touching our sushi. :)

Our fav rolls are the hot night, palm spring, and Ookii. Though I think all of those have tuna in them. Their gyoza is pretty good too.

Paula said...

mmmmm......gyoza!.....mmmmmm.......

Heidianne said...

We go to Sabouros over In Sellwood. There is a closer sushi joint to us, up on Mcloughlin Blvd. It's next to a Dive shop. We figure the fish must be really fresh.:) We haven't gotten the courage up to check it out ..However I wanna try Ookis now.

I would love to buy fish from a CFS! How cool is that?

Paula said...

We've heard of Sabouros in Sellwood, of course (I think it's famous) but we don't like to stand in lines for anything (Including security at the airport, but what are you gonna do?) so we've never tried it. It's supposed to be pretty wonderful, though, so we don't know what we're missing.

If you do try Ookii, it's right across 82nd from the Winco. In that same shopping center, is Penzey's, which is the spice store I've written about. You should go check it out because if you cook, you'll like it. The spices and herbs are a little more than you'd pay in the grocery store, but I think they're worth it because they're more potent. They also have a huge, HUGE selection. I haven't replaced absolutely everything in the cupboard, but most of my seasonings are from Penzeys. If you like a pungent black pepper, try the Black Sarawak peppercorns, which is what I keep in my grinder. That is one peppery pepper. But they have all kinds of stuff. Lots of fun.

I think a fish CSA is pretty darn cool, especially if you can get it delivered.

Have you had a chance to call Christina at Deck? Just wondering...