Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Coop Frame, South Side


Framing, if you're infernally weak like I am, will. wear. you. out. if you do it all day.  I had to take lots of breaks.  I also had to, get this, drill pilot holes for the nails I was using because I'd bend them before I got them driven home.

So that's the south side of the coop section, framed for the old window you sort of see leaning against the plywood (it's the thing that looks like a blue window), a header for the floor joists, and then a framed section that will be covered in hardware cloth under the coop section so the girls will have some shade to find on summer mornings.  On summer afternoons the run will be in complete shade.

I honestly think this was the hardest side because of the window, and I'm glad I started with it.

8 comments:

Tamar@StarvingofftheLand said...

I admire the planning and design that enable you to frame a wall, and then erect it on site. We were winging it, and framed directly on to the foundation, adding columns and beams until it looked right.

Looks to me like you're going to have the best-housed chickens west of the Mississippi.

Paula said...

Thanks Tamar. The only reason I'm going to all this trouble is the raccoons....

Curbstone Homestead said...

Keep up the great work! Those chickens will have a mansion! It looks great so far!

Paula said...

Thanks Shannon!

Miriam said...

It's going to be a great coop, filled with happy chickens!

I'm glad you're being careful about varmint-proofing it. We lost a 5-week old bird yesterday in the middle of the day from a fenced and disco-streamed enclosure. I came back from an appointment to find I was one chick short, another one had flown over the short fence into the big-chicken's part of the yard, and the rest were huddled in their coop looking a little freaked out. I'm not sure if it was an eagle or a raccoon. Either way, it sucks.

Paula said...

I'm sorry to hear that Miriam.

Yeah, I'm treating all the local predators like criminals. I know their motive; I'm going to try to deny them opportunity, because that's all it takes.

Rachel said...

It looks like you do great woodwork between the hutch, dining nook, and now the coop with windows. Will the racoons break the window?

Paula said...

Thanks Rachel. I think I just fake it pretty well.

The raccoons won't be able to break the windows for two reasons: one is that they're both going to be made out of plastic, and the second reason is that instead of screen I'm nailing on more half inch hardware cloth.