Search This Blog

Monday, June 6, 2011

I Can Take a Hint

It was hot over the weekend- upper eighties, so we took advantage of that and worked on the coop.

The first part was building the pad and the first course of the foundation, for which I needed Steve's help.  With the exception of moving the walls to the backyard from the garage where I'll build them, I should be able to get the rest of the coop done myself.

But moving a bunch of soil (read 'heavy, waterlogged clay) and getting the first course of concrete pavers down was going to need more strength and back than I have all by myself, so that's what we both did this weekend.  Saturday we moved the majority of the soil and tamped, tamped, tamped it down.  We also got one side of the first course of patio pavers that I'm going to use for the foundation laid.

Progress at the end of Saturday

Sunday was spent moving and tamping more soil, and finishing the first course.  I decided to do it this way because there are stacks of patio pavers all over the yard.  They were something the previous owner left us to find.  I think there are a hundred of them. That's what I counted, anyway.  It might not be the most stable foundation in earthquake country, but that's what I'm going with in spite of that. I've seen chicken coops on less.

It's level and square

I'll lay hardware cloth across the bottom, put the second course of pavers on it, and once I get the frame sitting on the second course, I'll bend up the bottom hardware cloth and nail it to the frame.  Then I'll hammer concrete mesh pins in all over the bottom hardware cloth, and make sure the  soil is covering the mesh.  The bedding will go on top of that.

But today I am not working on the coop.

I started today by pouring hot water from the thermo carafe in on top of Steve's soy milk, and then when I went to pour the rest of the coffee from the pot into the carafe, I forgot to pour out the hot water I had in there heating it up. That first pot was almost what the French call 'jus de chaussette'.  It means 'sock juice'.

Then when I went to make Steve's breakfast, I discovered that I'd neglected to take a package of sausage out of the freezer to defrost, so I had to brown some Spam for him. No big deal, except I pulled the ring off the lid instead of pulling the lid off with the ring.  Have you any idea how hard it is to open a can of Spam with a regular can opener? Fortunately I managed it without cutting myself, and I did find the tiny sliver of metal in the cooked Spam before I fed it to Steve, but you know what?  I can take a hint.

I will not be working on the coop today but will instead be doing much needed house work, and making more room in the garage so I can work on the coop tomorrow.

I just don't need anything else going wrong this morning.

6 comments:

Toni aka irishlas said...

Smart move! Sounds like the universe was trying to tell you something!

What are you using for the floor of the coop? Since you have racoons, I would suggest putting chicken wire between the ground and the floor of the coop. Makes it predator proof. That and racoon proof latches to lock up at night.

Enjoy the rest of the week and looking forward to the finished coop!

Paula said...

Half inch hardware cloth goes under the whole run, which will go under the coop as well. The coop itself will be raised, and will have a solid plywood floor, lined with vinyl or linoleum flooring (I don't know what they're selling these days). The windows are getting the half inch hardware cloth treatment, and the exterior doors will probably get locks top and bottom. Not latches, but locks.

I am so constructing this thing with the raccoons in mind.

John said...

Christy thought I was out of my mind when I suggested lining our coop floor linoleum, I'm glad I've got back up here! If you weren't already planning to, find a flooring store and ask if they have any scraps they could give you. They often consider an area the size of your coop scrap. I think I paid $5 for a roll that was more than adequate.

Congratulations of getting your pad level and squared! That's something I really need to shoot for!

Ruth @ Hope, Joy and Faith Farm said...

Sounds like one of those days to leave well enough alone. Good for you for listening for the hints... Sounds like it will be a great coop. Can't wait for the finished pictures.

Paula said...

Thanks John! I was going to do the same at the local Home Depot, but if they don't want to play my game, a flooring store's a good idea!

Paula said...

I hope so, Ruth. thanks!