Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2011

The Perils Of Being Handy

Steve and I were both hungry early this morning, so breakfast was early, which means that I got an early start on the you-know-what.  And I got a lot done- the north side of the coop was completely done except for installing the window, which I'll do once it's up in place.  That leaves cladding the south side of the coop, which  includes having to build the window from scratch still, and the floor of the coop, the door to the run, and the roof.  I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm hoping to start raising walls on Wednesday.

But I must have gotten a lot done today, because my hands are killing me.  All twenty-eight of my knuckles are aching, and one, the second on my left index finger, is particularly achy.  That would be because right after I was thinking, "Gee, that's probably not a good place for my finger," I whacked it hard with my hammer.  I swing a sixteen ounce Estwing framing hammer, so you can imagine the force.  It swelled up so much (yes, I iced it!) that it was a little hard, and more than a little painful pulling my glove onto that hand.  Thank God it's not a roofing hammer, which is bigger and has a cross-hatched face- otherwise my finger would have looked like I was trying to tenderize it.

But, yeah.  I think I may have an idea of what arthritis feels like.  I have never had my hands hurt like this.  I mean, they ache up to my wrists.  Actually, past my wrists, because my wrists ache too.  Ai yi yi.

Well, enough whining for one night.

I gotta go research how to put the roof on.

11 comments:

Maria said...

Take it easy the day after that! and I would say give yourself plenty of breaks and/or take a day off altogether if they're really sore (although like with sore muscles, sometimes doing a bit is better than doing nothing, as doing nothing risks you seizing up). You don't want to give yourself *really* bad joints just before starting your new job next week!

Paula said...

I wish I could, Maria. But I have a deadline that can't be moved, so I have to work, work, work! But more breaks are definitely in order.

Rae said...

You're coop is sure to be a beautiful yet impenetrable fortress. I'm not so sure I want you to see our chicken coop or our run with tree branch rafters. :) Zip ties, hotwire, power tools, and the air nail gun are my friends... Lol.

Paula said...

Hey Rae- I'm all for whatever works. I doubt very seriously that my coop will be beautiful. I have seriously NO doubt that it will be a fortress.

Sigh. I wish I'd had a nail gun. That is one power tool I can literally 'get behind'.

I have another reason for needing to get it done-- we're dog sitting this weekend and it would be a really good thing to have the girls safely out of the house, and safely into their coop before Shane shows up!

Julia Posey said...

Ouch! I hope you heal up quickly, Paula.

Paula said...

I did, Julia, thank you. It healed a lot faster than I thought it would!

Miriam said...

Somehow I missed this post! I'm glad your hands are feeling better - it's not until they hurt that we really appreciate how much we need them for.

I echo Maria's caution - I've learned the hard way how important it is to give our bodies time to recover, especially since we're not 20 any more!

Jennifer Montero said...

It's the project that-dare-not-speak-its-name. Uh oh.

Between your fingers and my toe (and I whacked my thumb joint putting up horse fencing, it's like a fat blue sausage), we're deconstructing ourselves an appendage at a time. "The project" will be completed, and you'll be a pile of parts on the floor beside it!

Like the post title too. I love a good (or bad) pun

Paula said...

Thanks Jennifer! I love a pun in any form too, and hve a doozy in mind for my next post. Actually, a couple. They will either make you laugh or make you groan. Puns are like that. They're either punny or puny.

Toni aka irishlas said...

Hey lady, just wanted to wish you a great weekend!

Paula said...

Thanks Toni! You too!