Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ramping Up For Bedtime

Well wouldn't you know it?  As soon as I report the girls are balking at bedtime they make a liar out of me.

Last night at nine-thirty, which is well past dusk and getting pretty dark by then, I strapped on my head lamp and grabbed a cup of yogurt and went out to the coop to herd chickens. There were none to be found.  The girls had taken themselves to bed, so I locked up.

I guess they've figured out the ramp because they came down for breakfast, which is where I left them this morning.  But this evening when I came home and asked how the girls were, Steve said they were fine, he'd brought them more water and greens (and they were appreciative).  He also added that when he brought stuff out to the compost pile this morning while his breakfast was cooking around nine o'clock, he looked in the window and they were all in the coop.

Which means, of course, that after breakfast, they are going back to bed.

They really are teenagers.

4 comments:

Miriam said...

We've had a few batches of new chickens now, and with every one of them it seems to take time to train them to the routine we're trying to establish. Once the routine is in place, everything is easy! Except when it comes to our Red Rock Crosses - they are the flightiest, stupidest chickens I have ever seen. (But please don't tell them I said so...)

Rae said...

Lol. Our buffs took to the coop right away, but it took our mixed chicks over a week to figure it out. Glad your girls finally got with the program! :)

Rachel said...

I love hearing about the chickens. I want to have them, but live in an HOA and they're not allowed. Any recipes for eggplant would be welcome. This is the second year I've grown it and it does GREAT here, but other than eggplant parmesan, I'm not a huge fan. I seem to have the best luck with the stuff I don't love.

Jennifer Montero said...

Your post made me smile. Welcome to the world of chicken watching. It's addictive, isn't it?

Our evenings stay light til nearly 10pm, and some chickens are determined to make the most of the long days. I'm herding them home so I can give the dogs a last run out and get to bed.