Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2011

Solatube!!

I came home from work today and this greeted me as I came in the front door!

Fourteen inch Solatube

The light over the island was practically dazzling! What an enormous change; this is usually the gloomiest place in the kitchen.

So of course I had to go check out the hall bathroom:

Ten inch Solatube

This was taken after the clouds had obscured the sun somewhat, so we are still going to get plenty of light in the house on rainy days.  A lot more than we had before, at any rate.  Jef was careful to aim the reflector inside the tube toward the south, so we get maximum light, even though both tubes are on the north side of the roof.

Heidianne- are you convinced now? There's even a federal tax credit for these things.

I'm so glad we did this.

6 comments:

Tamar@StarvingofftheLand said...

I was admiring the light from your Solatube when I was distracted by the beauty of your kitchen.

Paula said...

You mean you weren't distracted by the mess? Thank you for the compliment. The kitchen has really been a labor of love, and I'm lucky I get to cook in such a nice one. And I know I'm lucky.

Rae said...

Wow! That makes a HUGE difference! Congrats!!!

Miriam said...

Very nice! I can understand why you are so pleased!

Carolyn said...

Ironic, I went away up north and saw Solatube on a home improvement show, so i find it interesting that it's mentioned in your post. I'll have to look into it, because if it is half as bright as it seems from your photos (great kitchen, btw!!), it definitely seems worth the investment to brighten up my folk's kitchen.
Thanks for another inspiring post!

Paula said...

Carolyn- it's amazingly bright. I would say I don't know what took us so long to do it but I do know- we wanted to get the new roof first.

But I can tell you that I'm amazed at all the light. If we weren't going to put solar panels on the south side of the roof I would and another Solatube for the hallway, which are usually pretty dark places as well, so think about that.

I any case, they were well worth the money, and I'd do it again.