Search This Blog

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Drying Rack for the Homestead

My Homesteader drying rack from Forgotten Way Farms arrived almost two weeks ago and I finally put it together today.  We're drying two and a half loads on it as I write (the other half load is on the English rack in the kitchen).  It comes unassembled with instructions so that the shipping isn't as expensive as it would otherwise be.




I really like this rack!  It does take up a chunk of the living room, and maybe not everyone wants to devote part of the living room to drying clothes, but that's where we had the room (this rack is huge), and we're determined to make changes in our lifestyle at the pace we want to, rather than making forced changes later in life. Change before you have to, is the maxim to which we're ascribing.  We get used to living 'simply', as it were, and we'll already be used to it when supply tightens up or our incomes are reduced.  If none of that happens, we'll still have saved a lot of money living this way.

But back to the rack. The only criticism I have, which is pretty minor, was that the instructions had a couple of problems where the instructions didn't quite jive with the pictures, which almost stopped the assembly altogether until I figured it out. The key is to stick with what the picture looks like, because they're right.  Once I had that part done, the rest of it went together pretty quickly.  Something that might make assembly a little easier for anyone thinking about getting this rack is to put a piece of ¾" wood underneath parts that don't touch the floor to make it much steadier to work on.  Also, if you have a speed-loading chuck on your drill or impact driver and a phillips driver bit, it will make fixing the screws into the dowel ends go a lot quicker, and there are a bunch of them. Screwing the ends of the dowels in actually took more time than assembling the rack!

All in all, I think this is a great product, and I'm glad that I purchased the largest size they have.

7 comments:

Miriam said...

I have a similar (but smaller) rack that gets used for drying herbs. Yours is not only larger, it looks sturdier - the biggest frustration I have with my rack is that it's fairly light wood, and has warped a bit, which makes putting it together when I want to use it a bit of a pain. I'll be interested in hearing how yours holds up!

Leigh said...

It's great! I've thought about ordering one too, but at the moment had better wait until some of our remodeling is done so I have a place to put it. :o

We've found that same thing about instructions to be true more times than not. Kinda wonder if anyone lab tests them before sending them out!

Rae said...

Oooh... I like!

Jennifer Montero said...

Those dryers are great for underpants and socks. You can put it up near the woodstove and stuff dries in a jif. Glad you like it too. I wonder if a spare one would be useful for storing/drying garlic or shallots, and the like...hmmm..

morgaineotm said...

Finished assembling ours yesterday. Had done the basic assembly and dried a couple of loads already before we got the final attaching of the screws. Mine is outside. Unfortunately, during assembly, one of the dowels was so tight it split the frame piece. Am waiting to hear about that now. Honestly, it doesn't hold that much more than my butterfly rack with additional hangers. But that rack does not work with sheets and even towels challenge it. Mine will live outside most of the year, but will be able to keep it from the worst of the sunshine.

Paula said...

You know Miriam, I put up hospital curtain tracks over my sliding glass doors, but haven't gotten around to actually making the curtains yet, so I dried herbs and seed head on the hooks on the hospital tracks, and that worked so well that when I finally get the utility room converted into a walk-in pantry, one of the things I want for the window is another hospital curtain track, just for hanging stuff up to dry.

Paula said...

Oh sorry to read that, Morgaineotm! Maybe they will send you a new frame piece.

I waxed both the ends of the dowels and inside the holes with an old candle stub, so it wasn't too bad...I also used a rubber mallet because my experience with hitting wood with a hammer is that the hammer mashes the end of the wood- and once that happens you'd never get it in the hole.