Search This Blog

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Ten Years Before The Mast


The mast and me, five years in
"I had a thought," said Steve.

"Well treat it kindly.  It's a stranger in a foreign land," I replied, which was something my dad always said when presented with the same statement.

"Don't say that anymore- that's old," said Steve, who knew I didn't mean it, but was tired of hearing it just the same.

"Okay.  What was this thought of yours?" I asked.

"Marrying you was probably one of the smartest things I ever did."

Damn right,  I was tempted to say.  But really?  I've been saying for years that marrying Steve was the smartest thing I ever did.

Teaching him how to yeast bake was the second smartest thing I ever did, and convincing him to brew his own beer was probably the third smartest.  But I digress.

Steve and I were married ten years ago today on the front porch of a friend's mother's old victorian on the St. Johns river in Jacksonville. We were both wearing our jeans and Birkenstock sandals.  This same friend's father presided over our ceremony. His sartorial splendor consisted of jeans and sneakers on the bottom half, and a tux and tie on the top half.  He had renewed his notary status just for the occasion, and I still feel that our wedding was perfect.

I'd do it over and over and over again, just the same way, for all the same reasons.

Happy anniversary, Honey Boy.

16 comments:

KJ said...

Congratulations! Way to go!

Jennifer Montero said...

That saying is new to me, and very funny. I'm planning to steal it and use it liberally. You will be credited of course.

Now I disgress...

Happy anniversary to you both. We agree - your wedding sounds like it was perfect, and the marriage even moreso.

KJ said...

Congratulations!

russell1200 said...

Ten years?

So you were something like 16 years old?

Maria said...

congratulations to you both!

jules said...

Happy Anniversary! you two. It's only been 6, going on 7 in January for us.

Best thing I've ever done also!

Rachelle said...

Congratulations!

Rae said...

Huge congrats!!!! You guys ROCK! :)

Alienne said...

Aww, that's sweet. Happy Anniversary to you both.

Kevin'sHeart said...

Happy Anniversary Paula and Steve and many more happy ones to come! Love your blog - I have the space -all I need is some of your energy!

Miriam said...

Congratulations! True love is a wonderful thing, and those of us who manage to find it and keep it are truly, truly blessed.

And what a lovely photo of you both!

May you have many, many more happy years together.

Tamar@StarvingofftheLand said...

Congratulations, Paula and Steve.

The nature of your partnership shines through in what you write, and it always makes me happy to see two people delighted to be together.

Kevin and I send best wishes across these 3000 miles. (And, unrelatedly, I like your hair better short, but that could be a fox-and-his-brush situation.)

Joleen said...

Happy Anniversary (yesterday)

click clack gorilla said...

Oo congratulations!

Apparently what this means is that you are both very very smart. Good job and high fives for everyone. Haha.

Paula said...

Thank you, everyone, for the well wishes.

We did have a wonderful anniversary, and I have to tell you about it.

John said...

Happy Anniversary! That's really inspirational for us newlyweds up here! Keep up the good work!