Search This Blog

Sunday, February 19, 2012

New Bed's Here

Just a quick catch up because I really need to be working on a project - not sure which yet because I can't tell if the weather is going to cooperate or not, but I really need to get out there and weed the beds.

Anyway- our new bed arrived yesterday!

Here's the old bed:

Which was not really a bed. It was really a mattress and box springs on a metal frame. If you look at it long enough, you can see that it sags ever so slightly in the middle.  That's because it was an inner spring mattress, albeit an expensive Stearns and Foster.

We learned a great deal in the mattress buying exercise:  the number of innersprings in a mattress determine its quality- the more there are the better the support you get, and the more it costs.  However, innerspring mattresses don't last because the innersprings are the first part of the mattress to wear out, and  according to the statistics on Sleeplikethedead.com, they seem to average about three years. We thought briefly about a memory foam mattress but decided against it because of all the horror stories about off-gassing.  I'm extremely sensitive to smells anyway and reading about it reminded me of the Tempurpedic pillow I once bought and couldn't use because of the smell. Steve also didn't want to purchase something made from so much petroleum.  So memory foam was taken off the table.  We finally decided on a latex mattress because it has a lower allergen rating, and because it was warrantied for twenty years.  At least that's what we were told- I think the warranty is really up in 2025. Still, it should last a good while, and is it ever comfortable!  And it's another Stearns and Foster and because we got a screaming deal on it, it was roughly the same price as the king-sized innerspring we purchased ten years ago.  And guess what?  Stearns and Foster has a plant right here in Portland, so it was made locally as well.

So without further ado, here is the new bed, which was made from quarter-sawn oak by The Joinery in Portland:


If it looks smaller, it's because it is; we downsized to a queen because we tend to fall together for warmth anyway, and the king was taking up way too much real estate in the bedroom.  The queen size is taking a little getting used to; I only had to tell Steve to stop taking his half out of the middle once last night.  Otherwise, it was a great sleep.

Hope you like it it, because we do!

8 comments:

Rae said...

Yay! It's very pretty. Jealous of the quarter sawn. Congrats!

Miriam said...

It's a gorgeous bed, and I'm sure that once Steve understands his place in it, you'll both be very happy! You clearly have a knack for combining form and function, practicality and comfort!

Tamar@StarvingofftheLand said...

It's bee-yoo-tee-ful! I love the simplicity of the lines. And no sag! Sleep well.

John said...

What a coincidence! Just this week Christy and I traded in our old inner spring mattress for a 100% latex queen size! We're both loving it, and my back has already felt much better than usual. Ours was also made in Oregon and sold to us by a very eco-friendly, community-centered, touchy-feely store in Seattle. It feel so much bigger than our last bed since we're no longer both rolling towards the center! Nice looking bed frame, too. We still have to work on that. Great minds think alike!

Paula said...

Thank you Rae. The base wood, i.e., color is cherry. These guys don't stain stuff- they use wood of that color, the only exception is the fumed oak, which is fumed, not stained. It's still pretty, and I suspect that's what we'll have the dining room table made from (someday).

Thanks Miriam. Unfortunately Steve being so much bigger than I am means he pretty much sleeps wherever he wants. He may as well be the 300lb gorilla.

Thank you Tamar. I love the simplicity of the lines as well.

Steve loves his new mattress as well, John. You guys should check out The Joinery online- you could do worse, although I suspect that you should probably make your own. But then your shop would need a jointer and a planer, among all the other cool stuff you have.

I guess I should mention here that we chose wood because according to feng shui principles, surrounding yourself in wood when you sleep gives you more control over your career (maybe that's why vampires are making sucha comeback); old-fashioned iron beds, much as I love them, are taboo because they suggest jail time. Who needs that?

Lyssa said...

How lovely!

We finally got a "real" bed last december, and I love it! Ours is a massive wood canopy bed that makes me feel like a character in a Tudor drama, scored on Craigslist for a song.

Dante Storey said...

Hi, Paula. Glad you and Steve found a bed to your liking. How is it after a year? My wife and I used to have a really soft mattress. But after a while, we both experienced some back pain. It was then that we found out that a firmer mattress is actually the better choice. For some reason, experts say people that opt for a firmer bed experience less back pain. I don’t really get it, but as long as I get a good night’s sleep without back pain in the morning, I’m good. Perhaps those innersprings also have something to do with it.

Paula said...

Holy cow! It has been a year! Thanks for pointing that out, Dante.

Yes we still really like our bed- it's very comfortable. We opted for latex, which after all the research we did, should way outlast an innerspring mattress by something like 18-20 years.

That said, it's really, really heavy- I can't help Steve pick it up, so he has to put on the bottom sheet by himself because I just can't manage it.

His parents really like their sleep number bed, and I tend think it might have been a better choice for us, but Steve didn't want to risk what's basically an air mattress in the very damp climate of Oregon- he was afraid of mold issues and I didn't think it was important enough to fight about. One of the girls I work with housesat for a friend of hers and spent a week on her sleep number bed, and now she wants one. So I would say you should at least go check them out. Especially if you live in like, Phoenix.