Search This Blog

Monday, June 18, 2012

First Meal with Homemade Sauerkraut




This is a Schweinebauch (shwy-nuh-boughk) from Edelweiss Deli in Portland.  It's essentially a big sausage stuffed in a pork belly that's been split to make a pocket.   


We always ask them to cut one slice three quarters of an inch thick, which we take home and fry up!


Once the one side was nice and brown, I threw the sauerkraut on top and put a lid on it to heat up the kraut while the other side was browning.

Salty, crunchy, greasy.

It sure was good with the beer!

3 comments:

Tamar@StarvingofftheLand said...

Sausage. Sauerkraut. Beer. It just doesn't get much better.

Anonymous said...

Hi Paula, my name is Elizabeth. I have been reading your blog and thought it was time to say hello and how much I am enjoying it. My husband & I live in SE Pa. at the moment but bought 12 acres out on the Olympic penn. for when we retire in 4 years. We are looking forward to homesteading & I am learning alot from the blogs I read. Thanks for all the info.

Hippo said...

I am with Tamar on this and am now slavering like a Nile crocodile.

Although the temperature here in Africa is perhaps too high, I would still love to have a go at making my own Sauerkraut especially as at this time of the year, the temperature is as low as it is going to get.

I agree with Elizabeth, the blog is a great read and I´m learning a lot. Who says an old dog can´t learn new tricks? I´m learning loads!