Search This Blog

Monday, July 9, 2012

Eating the Natives

Last year I was completely bummed about losing my first and only hazelnuts and my big cabbage to what I believed to be one of the Scrubb jays in the yard.

I noticed that this year again, out of the three hazelnuts that I planted, only the Italian hazelnut, the Tonda di Giffona, has a couple of nuts on it.  My compost pile is right next to it, so I think it's safe for the time being as it's somewhat camouflaged by straw.  But one of the native filberts in the front yard (I'm lucky enough to have four native filberts in my yard) has a bunch of filberts on it, and this is the first time any of the natives has had nuts on them.  So I got smart this year, and this evening I covered it in bird netting.

I also got smart about my January King cabbage this year, which is turning out to be another colossal cabbage.  It's covered in chicken wire.

There are people that eat green almonds and enjoy them, and something squirrels? jays? seem to enjoy them green, so I may try these two that came off while I was trying to cover it.

I think that some research into hazelnut and filbert cultivation may be a good idea.

4 comments:

russell1200 said...

Yes, we lost all our blackberries. My little one was not happy. He thought the birds should have left some for other people.

Anonymous said...

I finally got smart & covered my radish seedlings with bird netting. I thought it was slugs or snails, although I haven't seen any. Then I saw the flock of birds having a garden party with my radishes as their main snack. I guess all the catnip I planted to keep out the deer and woodchucks doesn't work for birds. Elizabeth

Daisy Farm said...

I'm curious about what your "day job" is. I'm also interested in how you manage to make garden plans in a challenging environment (lots-o-rain!).

I'm heading out to Portland from Wisconsin (land of drought) in October so I'm following your blog more than usual for hints on life in the northeast. Cheers!

Paula said...

Daisy Farm I'm going to disappoint you- I'm in the northwest, not the northeast!

But to answer your questions, I'm a buyer for a very large electrical contractor, and by large I mean we have over 1,000 electricians on the books. This is why I work 9-10 hours every day.

As far as garden plans go, I'm trying to work with the weather. I'm also working with the phases of the moon, so we'll see how that works out. Because we have late springs, I try to choose varieties that mature quickly. We'll just have to see how well I'm doing later- it's still too early to tell!