Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Back to Eden

It is truly amazing to me how, one the one hand, my weekend was a total loss for getting anything done, and yet on the other hand, I've also learned something really, really important for the future success of my garden.

Well, okay- I did get the salsa verde canned.  Eighteen half-pints, which is far more reasonable than the thirty-two half-pints I canned three years ago of which we have two left.  But that took the larger part of Saturday so that I didn't want to get started at three o'clock in the afternoon on the chicken yard.

So Sunday- Sunday I set myself to work on the chicken yard.  We duded ourselves up in our grubbies and were all set to head out after welded wire and what not, and the car wouldn't start.  Wouldn't jump, either.  A very long story short, it was the battery, thank goodness, but it seriously shot the hell out of Sunday.  Can't complain though- this is the first time we had to replace the battery in seven years.  So no work whatsoever on the chicken yard.  No work on anything else, what with finding a rental car on a Sunday and getting the car towed to the dealership, and driving out to the airport with the neighbors to get a rental, etc. Oy!  This weekend was not a good one for getting what I wanted to get done actually done.

But-  I finally got around to watching Back to Eden.  All I can say is please find an hour and a half to watch this.  Folks who aren't interested in gardening will not find this of interest, but those of you who do will probably find this as mind-blowing as I did. It has completely changed my approach to building soil.  Incidentally, it fits in very nicely with the study that folks at The Mother Earth News did and reported on last year that found that wood, out of everything they tried, makes the best soil.  The film is heavily scriptural, so I'll warn you about that if it's not your cup of tea, but there is a lot of solid science in it, and it seems to work.  The best part is, if you adopt this method, you can expect to work less, fertilize less, water less, and harvest more.  Don't believe me?

Watch Back to Eden.

And let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Miriam said...

I'll definitely watch it - thanks for the suggestion and the link.

I'm glad your weekend didn't feel like a complete write-off - lately it seems whenever we start a job, either big or small, twelve things crop up to make it more complicated, more expensive, more time-consuming....argh! I'm afraid I don't have anywhere near a postive attitude as you!

Paula said...

I hope you do Miriam. I think maybe you and Kim are close enough to Sequim, Washington that you could go down there and check out his garden- he's open to having visitors.

I sent the link to my boss who gardens on his five acres and he is as excited as I am about this method.

It's paradigm shifting- that is the most succinct way that I can express what I think about it.

Jen said...

I've been watching this over the past couple of days between work and my kids' activities, and I'm fairly gobsmacked. This completely changes the way I've been approaching the effort to garden organically in my tiny suburban garden with horribly compacted soil. Thanks, Paula, for the link; I'm so glad I took the time out to watch it!

Paula said...

It does that. Changes the way you approach gardening, changes the way you approach building soil.

I'm glad you watched it Jen- pass it on!