Search This Blog

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Not So A-Maizing

This is the entirety of my corn harvest for 2012.  I had to pick them early because the rains have started, and I don't need the corn rotting where it is.  So I picked it even though it's not quite ready.

Some the ears are more ripe than others, but they are all in the oven on the dehydrating cycle.  I don't know if it'll actually make grain that I can grind, but I'm willing to keep trying.

Supposedly, this variety is takes only eighty-eight days to maturity and handles cool temperatures well.  I guess I planted it too late.

Am I done with corn?  

Not at all.  This harvest was paltry, but it was way better than my potato harvest.

I guess what I should be growing is soil.

1 comment:

Miriam said...

I am really interested to hear how the grinding goes. What will your first recipe with the corn flour be?

I grew corn for the first time this year, too - pink popcorn! How's that for completely trivial... I put it in the hottest, sunniest part of the garden and had middling success, but it hasn't dried enough yet to try the popping part!