Search This Blog

Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Story of My Spring

I've said it before, and I'll say it again and again: I am a lousy housekeeper.  So getting the house ready for entertaining guests has always been and probably always will be a Big Deal that takes a very long time to accomplish.

Which is why I haven't posted in awhile; I've been busy.  But so has Spring.

This is one of the only two out of eleven apple trees that is blooming.



In addition to the lovely, pale spears that we are getting out of the asparagus bed, there are numerous new plants in there (so much for buying what were supposed to be guaranteed male plants), so once the spears are done and the plants have been left to grow for the season, I'll dig up the babies and bury them deeper.  I'd do it now, but I don't want to dig up a sprouting asparagus crown by accident!


Over-wintered root vegetables that are now finally growing at a proper rate and are too woody or small to bother with.  They are also going to seed in a big way.  These are beets, carrots and onions.  I really struggled with that bed last year.


My experimental wheat is up.  This is a huge mystery, because for most of the seed I used hard red spring wheat bought in bulk at Bob's Red Mill store.  I think it set me back like, $1.65.  I took this picture Friday night after work.  Saturday morning it was riddled with mole hills.  So we'll see whether or not I get wheat.  There are also potatoes growing in this bed.  Not that I planted them; they are leftovers from last year.  I've been told once you plant potatoes, you'll always have potatoes.



This is my special Italian plum.  What makes it special is this is the first time since planting it four years ago that it has bloomed.  The littler Italian plum next to it still does not have flowers, so I am not really expecting fruit this year.  But I am still happy to see blossoms!



This is one of the tulip beds out front.  I think it needs some heavy dosing with bright red, orange, and purple tulips and have already warned Steve that next fall I am ordering said tulip bulbs.


And now, because it's sunny, instead of the predicted rain and gloom that was forecast, I'm going to go get some more weeding done instead of doing the shopping and gassing up the car like I'd planned.

Stupid weather.

5 comments:

Mary said...

I love those pastel tulips, but like you i love the bright colors as well. And they sure are good to see after a long winter! :) Asparagus is yummy. I want to grow some next year. My green thumb seems to be getting darker green the older i get. It has been kind of a pale shade of greenish brown. lol

Tamar@StarvingofftheLand said...

I have fruit envy. Apples and plums!

And I'll second the thing about the potatoes.

Miriam said...

What's the story with the asparagus? I'm hoping you have some wisdom to share because I am continually perplexed by our wimpy asparagus yield, even in Year 4. The spears themselves are getting bigger (pencil diameter rather than twig diameter) but there sure aren't a lot of them and they take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get tall enough to harvest. I didn't know gender was an issue. Help, Paula, help!

Paula said...

Hi Miriam! I'm no expert but this is what I know about asparagus- the crowns should be soaked in water before planting in a trench 8 inches deep, 1 foot apart. The soil should be rich and loose (in my case, they just got loose- couldn't manage rich) and the bed should be in full sun. The only other thing that I've read is that they benefit from being tucked for the winter under a blanket of horse poop, and I would venture to guess they meant well-rotted manure and not fresh, which might burn them. If you do use the horse manure, make sure it comes from someone who is not using a Clopyralid herbicide on their pastures, because it persists in the guts of animals browsing said pastures and will poison any garden into which it is incorporated. Oddly, not all vegetables are affected by it, but a great many are, so avoid it. Aminopyralids do the same thing.

But I bet you well rotted chicken poop would be just as good!!

Susan said...

It's driving us mad over here in Britain too - it has been soooo cold, and then suddenly, bang, out of nowhere we get three or four days of sunshine, followed by more biblical-style downpours and howling gales. I have delayed sowing any seeds for so long, but finally gave in last weekend and made a start.