Search This Blog

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Preventing Coddling Moth With Peds

A post or so ago I mentioned a neat trick with peds.

Here it is:

When your apples get to be about the size of walnuts.....


...get yourself some peds (those little stocking things for trying on shoes) and some size 8 rubberbands....


....and swaddle the apples in the peds, enclosing it with the rubberbands.


The peds keep the coddling moths off the apples, and as the apples grow they stretch out the ped, which allows more sunlight to reach the apple and ripen it.

I read about this method several years ago and have been itching to try it, which is part of the reason I espaliered the apples.  Aside from increasing yields and allowing more sun to reach the fruit, it was a good way to ensure that I could reach the apples!

4 comments:

Miriam said...

My first thought when I heard about this a couple of years ago was about how time consuming it would be. But if you got a rhythm going, and if you don't have a lot of fruit trees, I bet it would be a kind of fun thing to do on a sunny afternoon! Let us know how it works out!

Rachel said...

I'd heard about this but didn't know anyone that had tried it. May I ask where you got the pads / what brand they are? I'm hoping they keep the birds off of mine.

Tamar@StarvingofftheLand said...

What will they think of next? While the thought of pedding each apple must be a little dispiriting, the ingenuity of the solution will get you through it.

I wish you apples!

Paula said...

It is time-consuming, and more than a bit fiddly, but it's much easier on the beneficial insects than spraying, and a lot cheaper investment than buying a bunch of spraying equipment.

The peds are called 'disposable tri-sox foort sox' and I got them from Amazon for $9.99 a gross, plus five bucks shipping. And yes, I realize that fifteen bucks can buy a lot of apples, but not as many as you'd think, particularly if they are organic, which mine are.

We shall have to see.